For you Grasshopper owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Feb 8, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 725G2 with 61" deck and the model 15 collection system. Last fall I was doing a leaf job with my machine when suddenly I got no forward motion. I instantly turned the machine off and looked underneath to find that a stick had ripped off the hydro line that feeds fluid from the trans to the filter. Here's the kicker...that line dangles only about 5 or 6 inches off the ground making it a target for problems. The line attaches to a 3/8" barbed plastic "T" fitting which routes the fluid into the filter. That anemic plastic fitting is what broke causing me to lose all of my hydro fluid. I really like my grasshopper but I cannot believe that the engineers would leave that line dangling so low to the ground without any additional support. To add strength I thought I would retrofit the fittings to all brass but have found that the barbed fitting must be metric(????) because a 3/8" is to small and 1/2" is too big and there no sizes available inbetween. I've been to all the plumbing places and show them the part and they all get the "deer in the headlights look" when they see the size of the barb.

Have any of you ran into this problem? Since I can't do brass I am thinking of making a bracket to attach from the frame to the line for some support.

I keep a handful of parts on-hand but that was not one of them...I lost almost 3 days while waiting for parts. I now have added this puny part to my inventory along with 6 quarts of hydro fluid at $32 per quart. However, I would rather prevent the problem from ever occuring again. Just wondering if you other g-hopper owners have any good ideas on how to prevent this problem

Thank you in advance :)

2. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

My first time posting a picture. This is the piece that broke, notice the size of the barbs.

hydropiece.jpg

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Sorry I can not address your question, but you have brought up an interesting problem that I have found on almost every ZTR that I have ever owned. After having a similar problem with low-hanging hoses and dangling wires on another brand, I have inspected all my mowers shortly after purchase and always find some low or improperly supported hoses and wires. I don't know why the various manufacturers can not use a little common sense and tie up this kind of stuff at the factory.:confused:

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Been there done that. I had to replace that same hydro hose (it was my fault it got damaged-long story). When I tried to pull the hose off the "T" , the "T" broke. Of coarse the dealer didn't have any in stock. I went to the hardware store and with the help of the store owner we made a temporary "T" . GO to Grainger, for your hydro fluid, its Mobile DTE-26. $12 a gallon. I ordred 2 of those barbed "T"s from the dealer, so I'd have a spare. Also, I used a wire tie to slightly pull up that hose. I've never had that hose catch on anything.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Here's what I made,

t.jpg

6. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Bob - Where did you get the barb and what size is it? It looks as if it may be the correct size for the return hose. Glad (well not glad) to hear that I'm not the only one that happened to. I was in the same situation with my dealer not having parts. Also, I read somewhere a long time ago on this site that the mobil fluid caused premature wear...do you know anything about that? I would much rather buy the cheaper but don't want bigger probs down the road.

Mowingman - I too will be double checking that very thing you mentioned about low wires and hoses whenever I make a new purchase.

Thanks guys.

7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Those tees look just like the ones we use on sprayers, don't go to a hardware store, go to a good farm supply or tractor dealer. I'll bet they can fix you up with brass tees.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I just bought a quart of Grasshopper hydro oil in case I needed to top of one my G2 trans. systems. I noticed that on the 1 gal. jugs of Grasshopper oil, it states that you can use Mobil DTE 18M as a substitute. I might be mistaken, but I think the DTE-26 is for use in the earlier, lighter-duty "Gemini" trans. systems.:)

9. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips guys I have not yet checked tractor supply and I can likely rig up something like what Bob did. I might go to Grasshoppper's website and send them a "Tech question" on the Mobil DTE 18M fluid to see what they have to say about the long term effects. I will let you know their answer.

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member