? for you guys doing a million + in volume.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by evergreenco, May 10, 2005.

1. evergreenco

evergreenco LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have been in business for six years now primarily doing design build residential landscaping and irrigation. I am starting to wonder whether I need commercial contacts to help my business get to that next level?

I have a buddy that only works for residential building contractors. He has all the work he can handle and does no advertising. He probably does around $500,000 a year just about what I do but he does that with little overhead. I am constantly chasing work, doing estimates, answering phones, and working with homeowners.

Should I be soliciting work at this point from commercial clients that can feed me as much work as I can prove I can handle?

What has allowed you guys to turn that corner??
  2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was at just a million dollars in 2004, up significantly from 2003. 90% of the business is referral from residential and repeat clients. More work happened in 2004 because I increased the number of crews from 2 to 3. This year we will be at 5 4 man crews in another 2 weeks. Backlog is down because of the increased production, luckily sales continue and I haven't had to think about builders. My sales close % is down because of maintenance companies trying to expand into hardscapes and pricing lower, but I am in and out of my projects quicker...how will they shake out and be profitable at the lower price is the question...let alone the quality issue. I have fixed quite a few projects that were incorrectly done from other companies this spring. Training the new crews and constant cycling between sites 2-3 times daily have kept the quality up to my standards. Materials to supply the crews have been the overiding focus...keep those hands moving.
    I think that you have to have all facets of the project to maximize the dollars out of each client. Quote all, lighting, plant install, water feature, etc. along with the patio and wall that was originally called in.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely get involved with some kind of commercial work. We do new landscape installs for several management companies ranging from 5+ acre office buildings to rental properties. Very good money makers. We also do municipality work which is very good.
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Well yeah, we just reached that many......oops, wrong thread! :waving: