for you guys who run pistol grip walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barcode148, Aug 6, 2006.

1. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

i am trying to figure out how to configure my trailer and exactly what size i want. my question is how long is a normal 48''walk behind from the front of the casters to the back of the back wheel. so in other words how far does the handle stick out from where it is attacked to the mower.

thanks

2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

That would depend on what height you have them set at.
    When you raise them it would get shorter and if you lower them it'll be longer.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

This may have no relevance for you but some one maybe. We went with a 6' by 12' single Axel for a 52" rider and a 32 or 36 inch walk behind. I ordered it with a side gate which is GREAT however the 32 and 36" w/b are exactly 6' wide so the handles rub on the side gate when its part width wise. If you want to park a mower width wise get a 6.5 foot wide trailer!

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we have lesco 48" w/b.... and on our spare trailer a 5X8... we have a toolbox, that fits an S10 standard size and all that sits on the front of the trailer. we park the w/b up against it and the handle bars come just about to the gate. maybe a couple inches or so of clearance. we have gotten 2 48" Lesco w/b's on there before one pulled in and the other sideways on the trailer. and the size trailer will depend on your equipment. if i had to start over i wouldve gotten a 5X10 at the least. i have a 6X14 which im trying to sell so i can get an 7X16 or maybe a 7X18

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

so if your instrested in a Carry-On 6X14 Tandem w/ elec. brakes. we just got it a month or so ago.. maybe used it a dozen times at the most... $2200. PM me if your intrested.

6. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

i would be cutting at 3''

thanks

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

On my Scag 48 belt drive.

Front of caster to rear of drive tire--43 inches
    Front of caster to rear of engine deck--53 inches
    Front of caster to rear of pistol grips--72-73, about six feet(grips are not height adjustable on mine)

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

Are you sure your grips arent height adjustable?
    I didnt think mine were either, until I really started looking at them.
    The rear mount on mine has 2 rods coming up front the frame, to the bottom of the gas tank mounting plate and there threaded on both ends.
    It's was a pain to adjust but I love it now that I raised it.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You're right. It is at the highest setting. I never even looked before.
    I've had this machine since early '99, but we don't use it anymore.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

xoopiter

Can you back the walkbheind up the ramp so the bars just barely stick out over the drivers side of the trailer? Most walkbehinds have a slow reverse gear if gear drive.