For you turf experts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 24, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Any benefits of mulching leaves? Do they provide any type of fertilization?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Raise the ph of the soil a little much...

3. LawnBoy89

Would that be a good thing?

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

5. LawnBoy89

Judging from that website it looks like the cheap way out for our customers is to have them mulched.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

high ph is not a good thing.

7. LawnBoy89

Oh, but according to the website mulching leaves doesn't affect ph level (over 4 years). This is correct?

8. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

it will prob raise the ph while it is decomposing if the soil is low it might help but its prob more than a pain to mulch them up. Ive never seen a lawn that has a low ph its always to high in my area.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't recall anybody discussing getting the ph level checked on the properties being maintained. So .... does anybody really know if changing the ph level is a good thing or not? Only when we bother to get an objective measure of the change and comparing to proper levels can we make an assessment of whether leaf mulching "yes/no" is a good (at least from a soil viewpoint -- other considerations may be more important anyway).

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good free fertilizer and organic matter.
    Good natural micro activity.

Been mulching leaves for years.
    Been testing all sorts of soils for years as well.

I've been able to gather no conclusive evidence that mulching the leaves causes any negative effect on soil pH. In my opinion, the pH part of the discussion is a pretty STUPID issue. Why? Because even if I had found evidence that a particular type of leaf being mulched did cause noteable change in pH... well so does plain old fertilizer in some cases... so who cares? What's the big deal?

I just find it comical. Makes me laugh to think how so many guys think that mulching some leaves into a lawn once a year is going to turn the soil into an acid pit. So they act like the sky is falling when someone mentions leaf mulching... yet most of them are content to apply 4 or more fertilizer applications a year and never even as much as take a soil sample.

Point is, you don't see anybody on here crying "oh... fertilizer applications could change the soil pH... so don't do it because it will kill the lawn."