For your review

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Job I did this past year. Open it up to your critiques. Not sure there very good pic's, but comments are welcome.

photo 3.jpg

photo 10.jpg

photo 13.jpg

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I'm reminded of a fish tank. (The gravel)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Looks level and tight, never seen caps like that though. Make sure the neighbor has your card when that wood one fails!

4. DVS Hardscaper

Did you use grid? The upper wall is quite tall.

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Why all the post lights on the wall? Looks very busy to me. A good lighting plan could have been implemented once the landscape was in. Why light a bunch of gravel? -Some things are better left under the cloak of darkness.

Wall looks good though- I am just a lighting freak.

6. Dirt Boy

Grid was used throughout, drainage as well.
    Lights probably look a little busy from the distance that the picture was taken, it looks better, at least I think it does!, from a distance.
    I'm sure they'll put a few plants in there eventually, so it will help as well.

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Dirt Boy looks great:waving:

8. DVS Hardscaper

I agree about the poor choice of action for lighting.

Effective lighting in the landscape is accomplished through the planting design. Example - you plant specimen trees and up light them.

When people want a full blown plan (design, hardscape, planting, and lighting) from me, I never get into the lighting portion until AFTER WE ARE SQUARED AWAY ON THE HARDSCAPE ABD AFTER WE ARE SQUARED AWAY ON THE PLANTING PORTION. If the client has a bunch of changes to the hardscape design, then that changes the planting design, and if the planting design has changes, then that changes the lighting design.

But that's exactly how a nice lighting job is done - utilizing the landscape :)

Never, ever use gravel, use perennials. there are exceptions to gravel, such as, under steps, or for dry river beds.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

The lights aren't terrible, it may go with his area. You can see much based on just a picture of the wall.

10. Dirt Boy

I'll keep these thoughts in mind, didn't really talk about plants, and I guess, thinking about it, it certainly would play into the design, and some different layouts for lighting. They did kinda leave it up to me for lights, gave them a pic, and they were OK with it. It wouldn't be impossible to change, but they were happy, so we'll make better suggestions next time.
    Sometimes I get an idea in my head, and get tunnel vision.