1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? for Z-spray operators

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ted putnam, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been told 2nd hand that it would be a good thing to go ahead and purchase the foam marker when purchasing the machine. I would like to know if this is really necessary or if in time it would be more of a nuisance? I have a PG and for awhile I used blue tracking dye. However, after time(and lots of mess) I have become very adept at spraying without it. Would this also be true with the Z-spray?
  2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't use anything when i spray...i got used to seeing where it sprays and know how far to go in between it was pretty easy.....

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

I have been using a z since the first one came out. I never had the foamer or any marking dye.Once you use the z for awhile you can tell where your spraying and how much. I use a little extra sticker in my tanks,shines more when applied.
    Helpful tip : I always wash off machine every time its used, never leave fert in hopper overnight(humidity makes it soft and clogs),check oil every week,grease casters. The new one I have in 2yrs,only thing done is oil changes. Gotta love that!!
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

u dont need it. in 3 hrs. of running the mechine u will get the hang of it.
  5. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

When I can't see my tracks on larger properties I use a fluorescent flag/marker system. I can run 1/4 mile long passes and they are perfectly straight and spaced every time. It takes just a few seconds at each turn around to stake the markers. I think its a pretty good system.
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I just installed a four gallon foamer on my Z. If you are spraying and fertilizing at 15 foot spacing on big open areas and the grass is cut short, a foamer is nice. No straining of the eyes to see your track. I do enough large acreage jobs that I thought the expense was worth it. I do not have to worry if I am to wide or narrow.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for all of your replies guys! I plan to purchase one before the end of the year. It will probably be the junior due to the size the lawns in my customer base(primarily residential). I saw that the junior sprays 8 ft wide. About the same as my PG so I thought it might not be necessary even though it was recommended. One last question. I was told by this individual that 350-400k per day was not uncommon with his junior. He said his best day ever was 750k with his Max. Do these numbers sound realistic to you? The reason I ask is because one of the ways I plan to better compete this coming year is to be more productive and efficient. Thanks again.
  8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

400K would be 40 lawns at 10,000 each. If your route is tight enough that can be done with ease. The key is learn to steer and move the Z with one hand.
    I have a different question for Z owners, but Ted wants to know also. Is the Z intermediate or Junior quicker on small lawns than the Z-Max? If they are not quicker or more maneuverable then one buys the Max. The dual tank feature is great. I am think buying a second Z. I debating between another Max or a Junior/intermediate. I am leaning toward a intermediate. I have just a couple gated properties.
  9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I would buy the z max but I have never used one of the other models. if nothing for no other reason than I cant tell you how nice it is this time of year to have one tank with acclaim and the other with broadleaf. What a time saver.

I have a marker kit. But have not installed it. I have found that if I run circles it is sometimes hard to see lines on a fresh cut lawn. So I will change to back and forth. If it is still hard to see your tracks just follow the mow lines they are usually straight enough to keep you spacing right.
  10. TurfRyder

TurfRyder LawnSite Member

350-450K is a typical day for me on my intermediate but I rarely do lawns under 25K. Most are in the 50-150K range. I do quite a bit of commercial lawns and apartment complexes though. Most I ever did in a day was a 22 acre site. This is my first year doing apps with a machine and I really like it. I've logged 200hrs on it since April.