? for Z-Spray Owners

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

How long did it take you to get used to using your Z-Spray when you just starting using one? While I don't like shoving a push-spreader all over my lawns, one benefit of doing so, is I'm able to be extremely accurate with where I put product. With my push-spreader, I'm able to treat even the nooks and crannies of all my lawns.

While I would lose out on some accuracy, I sure do love all of the other advantages I'd gain. I'd obviously be able to treat a lot more lawns on a daily basis and while doing so, wouldn't be tired at the end of the day. There are obviously other advantages to switching to a Z.

Having said that, the only thing I'm wondering about, is how long was it before running your Z was second nature to you? I ran a Lazer Z for years when I offered mowing as a service, so I'm really familiar with zero-turn type controls. What I'm worried about is how easy it is to open your hopper, drop your side-deflector, or activate your spray nozzles while you're running the machine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

It becomes second nature in no time. Foot trigger for spray, right hand opens hopper (if you are rolling your left hand can push both hydro drives forward). You'll stop momentarily to drop the deflector and unless you are over 6 feet tall it could be a problem. When you really get good, you can dial down the hydro on the deflector and get very precise.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Victor,
    I don't own a Z Spray but I have a PG and I feel that I am more accurate using a maching due to taking the "walking speed" out of the equation. The PG runs a constant speed at a set RPM. At the end of the day the PG doesn't go slower because it is tired so I feel you get a better accuracy. Also there is nothing better then applying your chem and fert at the same time. VERY effecient!
    I know you are asking about the Z but I have had great luck with the PG Magnum. I have about 170 hours on my machine and have not had a lick of trouble with it. I have never ran a Z but for the money I don't see how it can get any better then the PG. Very simple design and no boom.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Victor,

Forgot to add that it took me about and hour to get used to the PG using water and I would say another day or two in the "real world" situations to get used to my machine.
    What it the avg size lawn you do?

5. Victor

I target small lawns. The lawns I target are between 5M and 8M.

6. Victor

I'm 6'3 Mike, so hopefully that'll help me reach it without getting off the machine.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is just my opinion, but with lawns that small, wouldn't you be more efficient with a push spreader and a couple of back-packs for stubborn weeds?

This is only my first year as a certified applicator, so I'm still pushing. Most of mine are acre plus with a few 3 acre in there as well. My smallest is about 10K. There is no way I'd use a powered spreader on that 10K one. It would take me longer to unload a powered unit than it would to push that one by hand.

Maybe those that use the powered spreaders could comment on this further, but for targeting those small postage stamp lots, I'd look into staying with a push spreader and maybe a buy a skid sprayer.

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

You will be fine with the smaller lawns. You will actually be able to more accurately apply each product with the z spray. Highly suggest it. I am on my 2nd one and wouldn't be in this business without it.

9. Victor

I've been living the life you're describing TLS. I've been pushing a spreader around customer's lawns for 4 years now. I've been using a backpack to spot-treat weeds for years too. I already have a skid-sprayer that I do blanket weed-control applications with and I can tell you that I'm still tired at the end of the day.

Pushing a spreader around lawns all day (whether the lawns are small, or not) when it's hot out, or when the lawns are thick and tall, still sucks. There's a better way to do it and that answer is a ride-on spreader. There's no way you'd be as productive pushing a spreader as you would be on a ride-on spreader.

If I twisted an ankle and couldn't comfortable walk on it, I could still do applications with a rider. There's no way I could push a spreader all day like that.

I really do appreciate the input, but I've been doing this long enough to know that a rider would be a much more profitable and easier way for me to do applications.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have run permagreens since 2002 and i can say i get a whole lot more done in a day with a powered machine
    i still push some of my slopes and smaller yards with gates and such so i dont totaly get out of shape :weightlifter: when i went from pushin to riding i cut my time by 2/3 so i could take on a lot more lawns and the big ones never slow me down anymore look at the machines out there and pic one youll love it