Ford 2 Spd rear end

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Dec 13, 2006.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Can you guys point me in a direction to repair a Ford F800 2 spd rear axle? Mine has been acting up and now is stuck in high gear. This is my first experience with a 2 spd axle and I hope they all arent this dificult to shift! Thanks for any help.
    David

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I beleive some of them work off of a vaccum line, it may have come off or something I would start there.

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

try Boston brake & clutch,there's also a good heavy duty truck shop in the Hyannis industrial park,you check there business listings,its possible the cable might be broken ,Ive had that happen once,good luck.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What usually happens is the selector Fork breaks and the 2spd doesn't shift. There are different 2spd axle systems some use electric worm drive motor some are air. Myself I don't like 2spd rear ends they are maintenance pigs they don't do well with abuse.

The best thing would be take the truck to a mechanic to see what is wrong.

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

probably a electric 2 spd check fuse then see if you have fire to the 2 speed motor on the rear end then it could be the spliter button on the gear shift it is a process of elimiation Good luck

6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I talked to a driver yesterday who has driven trucks with these electric splitters for years and said that it is probably just a gear or fork in the mechanism on the rear end. The switch on the shifter is working because the speedometer changes when I shift from high to low, but no gear change. I am taking it to the mechanic next week.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the 2 speed in our F800 went out a few months ago. I'm not excactelly sure what the problem was but it was stuck in low gear. I dont think it had anything to do with me breaking the axle and tearing out the rear 2 months earlier....but who knows.:cry:

8. Gravel Rat

It takes practice shifting a 2spd smoothly upshifting isn't too bad its down shifting. Its pretty rare you see new trucks spec'ed with 2spds it used to be common as mud in the earlier years with the old gas pot trucks.

If the truck is on air I would have yanked the 5spd out and put a 8LL and a single speed rear axle. Way easier to drive and so much stronger set up.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yup downshiftings where i broke the axle. going from 1hi to 2 lo uphill overloaded hauling dirt on site. The shift never happened and as i was hitting the accelerator to downshift the 2speed my foot slipped off the clutch and BANG broke the axle and tore out the bearings in the rear end...expensive learning lesson

10. Gravel Rat

Its why the local highways dept got rid of the old Internationals with 2spds and got trucks with 9spds. For years when the gov't was incharge of highways maintenance they had International 5 ton plow trucks all with 2spds. When the private contractors took over highways maintenace they found the 2spd axle trucks cost a fortune every year repairing the 2spds. Western Star custom built some single axle 5 ton dumps based on the 4964 Chassis. The trucks had L-10 and M-11 Cummins power with 9spds the trucks become very popular through out the highways maintenance contractors and Western Star mass produced the truck.

Anyhow the new Western Stars eventually saved allot of down time and saved money in rear axles. Trucks had more power being a 10 litre motor compared to a 466 International engine. The drivers could shift the 9spd Road Rangers as they are all used to tandem axle trucks.

I forget the numbers on how much money was saved eliminating the 2spd axle trucks.