ford 2n anyone?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Dirt Digger2, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i'm thinking about buying an old ford 2n for a summer restoration project and would really like to put a snowplow on it...anyone have any experince with these machines?...i'm a deere man myself

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have one lined up? It was a precursor to the 8N, manufactured during WWII. A trip over to yesterdaystractores.com will offer some information.

I spent some time on a Jubilee moved snow, dug post holes, raked hay, used the "bush hog" years ago. Personally I am a JD myself. However I have a H Farmall. I am toying with selling or trading.

3. Dirt Digger2

from PA

its the same size of the 8n and 9n tractors i assume...my buddies uncle is a farmall collector so he has 110, 140, c, super c, m, super m, super mta, an h and various others....i don't want a red tractor mainly because a green man can't drive red, but its acceptable to drive blue...anyway theres 10 mins left in the ebay auction and i am still high bidder...the owner says a voltage regulator and brake tune up are all its needs mechanically so i'll give it a shot....i just have no experience what so ever on ford tractors

4. Dirt Digger2

from PA

well i lost the auction...J.A. outbid me with 1 minute left...so be it, he over paid for it

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Easy tractors to fix. Its about the same as the 9N 8N 801.

Nice thing is the 3 point is still used and common today. If I keep the H I have a 3 point hitch engineered.

Keep your eyes open.

From a collector stand point John Deere's are expensive to purchase, must be nice to be popular.

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

My dream is to find an old JD or an 8N to restore next winter. We'll see if i can get some $$ for it. I love working an old tractor.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What was the winning bid???????

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

$1450 was the winning bid...lost it in the last minute..it was no gem, needed a paint job, brake work, possible engine overhaul and tires

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The old Ford's are still selling for 3000 to $5000 in my area and there is a bunch of them still in use.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad... of course there is others out there! This site I found has a LOT of great info on the 8N tractors, also has some on the 2N and 9N. Really a fun site: http://home.att.net/~jmsmith45/

My uncle recently passed away and he had an 8N ford with a sherman overdrive transmission. He'd had the engine rebuilt about 8 years ago and had just recently replaced the seals in the hydraulics. It's in excellent condition (considering that it hasn't been restored) but needs rear wheel seals, as they all do, new wiring and a battery.

Don't really know what the plans for it are, I think my parents (woh have it now) want to sell it. It has several impliments with it. I'd love to have it, but honestly the only thing I'd have a use for it for would be moving snow (and that's COLD work on a little tractor!) or using the bushhog for mowing lots that I may be called to do. I have no place to store it since I live in town, and the trailer it has with it is pretty rinky-dink. It functions but a guy would be better off with a better trailer for it. My big trailer is a landscape trailer and not suited for any sort of a tractor on the ramp gate.

Any opinions? My step dad owned a 8N for years and has done a lot of work to them so hes knowledgable about them, he also had a Ford 600 with the live hydraulics (something the 8N's seriously lacked) but it's engine was bad bad bad and needed a rebuild. They traded them both for a shiney new Ford Diesel 4wd about 6 years ago.