Ford 4.9L 300 Inline-6 Owners Please Post Here: MPG, reliability, overall experience

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, Jun 21, 2009.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about buying an Inline-6 F150, and wondered what you guys thought about them. I am particularly curious about the fuel mileage. I don't need something with a lot of power or off-the-line zip, but just something that will tow a small load decently, and get great mileage.

Fueleconomy.gov says that the 85' and 86' carbureted 300-6 got 24 and 25 MPG highway, and then dropped down to 20 MPG highway with the introduction of fuel injection in '87. Anybody have some opinions on this? I did run into a guy that owned a '65 F150 with this engine, and he got 26 MPG. That sounds amazingly good. Will the EFI really get that much worse? Just wondering.

I will only be towing about 2000-3000 lbs. at the most with it. If there are any other options besides the Inline-6 that get great mileage and will still tow I would be very open to hearing about them. Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate good info about this. Thanks.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My old carbureted 300-6 did better than my dads 96 300-6 in the mileage dept. The 300-6 was a good engine just don't expect any speed out of it.

Never did hand calculate the mileage but I don't think my old 79 F-150 4x4 ever got any more than 20 mpg. Dads fuel injected truck F-150 2wd wasn't that great on fuel

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I had a 91 F150 with the I6. It was a great engine, had great power, and some decent speed. Fuel mileage was around 14 in town, and 18-19 on the highway. The best part was the torque. It was a monster in that department!

4. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I had a 93 f-150 w/ I-6. I can't remember what the MPG were, but I did have over 265k miles before the transmission (auto) gave in; than I sold it. The motor still ran strong though, with no smoke.

5. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys! So it sounds like it's quite fuel-efficient engine for a truck, right? Is there anything else that will pull my load and get better mileage? Just wondering. I did find an '89 extended-cab model w. the 4.9L 300-6 and 5-speed manual in great shape with 192K miles for just under $1000. It has been owned and very well maintained by a service tech it's whole life. Is this a good deal?

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

own 79 F150 4x4 with 4.9L it tough engine. It get 15-19 mpg.

I wish they include 4.9L in F350 I would buy if I see.

Use motorcraft oil filter FL1A for that engine.

Don't rev it hurt.

you get best mpg by stay 2,000 rpm.

7. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 89 in line 300 in a f150 5 spd great truck . My mileage was 15 highway . I had about 1500lbs in tools . My f 250 had a auto 3 spd with 411 rear gears same mileage . John

8. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at a camp in Wisconsin that still has 6 or 8 of them in thier trucks. One or two in vans as well. No idea of mileage - it was all 20 mph or less, around camp use. Turth be told, they disposed of a truck that year that still ran very well, but you could lift off the bed on the drivers side by hand. They finally decided that old F250 was more of a safety risk than it was worth.

You may be able to buy something with better fuel economy, but you'll spend more buying it.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Like everyone else........around 20mpg empty...........15 loaded......not a speed demon but just alot of pulling power....good engines

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

1988 f150 with the 4.9L efi and a ZF 5 speed tranny. 15-17 towing a 6x12 open trailer. 19-21 on the highway.