Ford 4500, How did I do?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KERRTURF, Apr 19, 2005.

1. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I just purchased my first backhoe. It is a Ford 4500 Tractor/Loader/Backhoe, and has a 12", 18", and 24" bucket for the hoe. It also came with triple axle trailer. This is not a pretty machine, it has been sitting outside, and although there is no rust on it, it looks pretty bad with all of the tree sap stuck to it. The machine runs perfect, and all of the hydraulics work like they should. The hoe seat is dry rotted pretty good.
    The guy I bought it off of was going through a divorce, and needed money pretty bad. I gave $4000 for the package.
    Did I do okay?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would think you could use it, then sell and get at least all of your money back.

3. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

Sounds ok for the money. If you don't ahve a pressure washer, get a wash truck to come and wash it for you, should make a big help in cleaning it up. (Give it a real good grease job after.) What have you got to tow the two with?

4. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I have access to a pressure washer, but haven't had time to get it done yet. Unfortunately, my only truck went south on me the same time that I was offered the deal on the hoe. I had enough money to buy the dump truck that I have been wanting for some time, but not enough for the dump and the hoe. So, to make a long story short, I ended up with an older 1/2 ton 4x4, and the hoe. I don't have anyway to hall it around right now, but hopefully if this season treats me right I will be ready to go by next spring. Until then, I have a lot of work to do around the house, and have scheduled three small jobs to do with it that are close enough that I can drive it there.
    Thanks for the input, I though that I did okay but just wasn't sure.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say you got a pretty good deal on it.