Ford 5.4 engine vs. 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGiant94, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

BS BS BS BS!!!!!!!:nono:

2. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

The first half of your story isnt close to facts! Thats for sure. A 2500hd gasser, getting better economy than a Cummins? ha!!

3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Its not near the hit or miss, with the 06-07 6.0's. They were great ones.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

only the 03 and 04 years were really bad. 05 06 and 07 are good motors. ealry 05 is still shakey.

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i like my 5.4. other than coil packs i have not had any problems. it is not the fastest most powerfull engine out there but it is very capable and will do whatever you ask out of it.......

6. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

have 2004 F250 diesel 6.0 with trailer fully loaded I average 11miles per gallon. Enclosed trailer and equip weigh 6000lbs and I load truck with debris through out the week. Change oil and filter every 2000 miles. Takes over 3 1/2 gallons of oil($35). Oil filter and two fuel filters cost around $75 total. Change one of two tran filters every 10000 miles($20).Takes a synthetic oil in the transmission, price per case at ford was $70 last time I bought some. Prices depend if I buy cheap or from ford. Drove from Sarasota to Miami once and got 22MPG highway, truck only. During our last really cold spell my diesel did not like to start in the morning. Might get a heater for next year if this keeps up. I know Ford owns Cummins. If that's the case I wonder if they are going to start selling their trucks with the Cummins engine now that Dodge says they are no longer going to offer there full size trucks.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

:hammerhead:obviously you dont know to much cuz those 6.0 are a really good motor esp. the 06 and 07. i know alot of people with 6 liters and all the stuff mentioned about, they have never had problems with.

on a differnet note, 5.4l isnt a bad motor in a half ton if you dont pull anything. in a 3/4 ton you couldnt give me on for free! buy a 6.0, you wont regret it no matter what tool on here that says differnet!!!!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

8. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i have a 5.4 and depending on what your doing with it, it's fine. pulling mowers around a 5.4 is plenty...a lot of guys on here whack off over a diesel but the truth is unless you hauling a skid steer or dump trailer religiously, a gas will be fine...and cheaper

9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an 2500HD truck. Those had 6.0 and 8.1 gas. Mine is 1997 with the 350. And yes jerkoff it does do better than my Cummins.

10. green grass lawn care

green grass lawn care LawnSite Member

have a buddy who is a diesel machanic at a ford dealership. he says that the 6.0 and 6.4 is a piece compared to the 7.3. he has a bunch of new trucks in the shop right now and they are all brand new. brand new as in 2009 and 2010 models. i have a buddy witht the older 5.9 cummins in his dodge 3/4 ton and he says taht it gets 18-25 depending on how he drives loaded or unloaded and, "it'll pull the gates outta hell baby." said with a country accent. that's my 2 cents. vince