1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford 5.4 engine vs. 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGiant94, Jan 23, 2010.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

5.4 with some minor upgrades will pull good! What are you pulling?? diesel if your gonna pull a skidsteer. Every lawn you stop and go, does a diesel like that?, LOL!

To me diesel suck bec when it breaks down you are F*****! Time and money.

If you pull skidsteers and other heavy crap yes the gas will stress out and the diesel will take it pretty well but they will prolly cost the same in the long run when pulling very heavy stuff so its an even call.
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: My gosh really??? Im so tired of this. Ford Does NOT own Cummins, and never has!! Also youre changing your oil way more often than you should. youre just wasting money..
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Nice, good job with the name calling. Showin your intelligence level...:waving:
  4. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Ford does own cummins. As a matter of fact you can go into a Ford dealer and request a cummins as long as it is one ton or bigger. They bought cummins years ago, but because of the agreement could only sell in their larger truck configuarations. You need to check your facts. The reason I change my oil so much is because I do a lot of city driving and I am starting my engine numerous time a day and I tow a very heavy load.
  5. djchiodo3

Ok, ford seems to have owned a large stake in cummins at one time or another, but not 100% of the company. I am right about getting a cummins in a ford, just wrong on the owning part. My bad.
  6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

screw MPG, its ********.. Your buying a truck to move thousands of pounds, fuel mileage really shouldnt be a factor. Sure its important, but dam its def. not the deciding factor!

Dont forget you can only get a cummins in the 650s and up..
  7. djchiodo3

Just found a web site that sells kits to install cummins in any ford truck or they will do it for you.
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

you can make anything fit...

were talking stock, from the factory.. :hammerhead:
  9. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I don't know about your prices, but that californiagasprices is BS on Diesel price. Just filled up 18 gallons of ULSD here in Riverside county at not 3.90, not 3.50, but $3.09 per gallon! The gas prices are close though. And just in case you thought my price was isolated, orange county prices were $3.05 per gallon... Did the website get their prices from san francisco?
  10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 99 Dodge 3500 5.9 liter Cummings; got 20-22 MPG with the trailer on the hook. It for totalled after some bimbo ran into the back of it.

Now I got a 97 F350 7.3 liter diesel & get about 16 MPG with the trailer on the hook.

I spoke to some people who own a 6.o liter 7 they said the mileage stinks... but don't take my word for it. Go to http://thedieselgarage.com/forums & get info from people who are driving & repairing them.

Ford diesels got problems... If I had to do it again, i'd cough up the extra money and get me the DODGE with CUMMINGS 5.9 Liter!!!!!!!!

As far as fuel prices go... I pay aboy 15Cts more for diesel than I do for regular grade gas. The Ford gets me 16MPG with the trailer. I rented a 250 superdutu with the 8cyl v-8. It got me about 10 mpg with the trailer on the hook & no power. just do the math 7% more for diesel = 60% more mileage & it's all torgue. I'm going with the diesel.