Ford 5.4 engine vs. 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGiant94, Jan 23, 2010.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford shoulda stayed with the International/ Powerstroke engine. Ford has had a lot probs with their diesels when the ditched International.

2. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

5.4 had a lot of problems.spark plugs shooting out,exhaust manifold bolts breaking, high oil consumption,and coils going out. i don't like diesels either.i'd get the V-10 or the older 7.3 diesel.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow, no...not even close guy. You need to check your facts!! wow, what world are you living in??

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

still wrong. they only owned maybe 20% YEARS ago, and you can only get a cummins in a 650 and 750. There are NO 350's-550's with Cummins in them from the factory.

5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

its cummins!!!!! No g!

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

6.0 AND 6.4 ARE INTERNATIONALS. I cant believe all hese people without a clue...

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Dont tell them they are wrong though! :wall

8. lflcl

lflcl LawnSite Member

i own a '03 250 6.0. love it. but there are a good amount of issues with the engine that ford and powerstroke a well aware of. neither company will pay for any of the repairs. there is a coolant leak issue, not to expensive. egr valve failure, expensive. replace the common rail, thats the next one to replace. the last two rob your truck of performance and gas mileage, diesel is already way to expensive. but when the engine is up to par there is nothing like the power of a diesel. also ford and powerstroke have parted ways because of this issue, ford wants to develope their own diesel engine. so all of the powerstroke engine owners start buying extra parts they will only be available for a couple of years. IS IT SPRING YET! "Nothing runs like a Deere".

9. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

They parted ways because Ford sued Navistar for not covering warranty items, then Navistar found out it was other parts causing the engine failures such as the turbo's and injecters so Navistar counter sued Ford and dropped Ford. And as for parts they will allways be available.

10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

True but all these problems can be sorted cheap, for a few hundred $ or less.
    - carefully torque plugs and there should'nt be any problems, and if so a Calvan insert will fix it.
    - regular use of dielectric grease should keep COPs safe from humidity and aftermarket units are cheap
    - mine does'nt use much oil so I can not comment on that

Other than that the 5.4 is a fine motor. Since it lacks any engine character whatsoever people often mistake it for a slug, but the truth is it pulls just fine. Mine returns 13-14mpg towing 3000-3500lbs and without a trailer about 18mpg using overdrive.

I agree though a V10 costs only a grand more, gets nearly as good a mileage and can tow more than a 5.4