Ford 5.4 engine vs. 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGiant94, Jan 23, 2010.

1. GreenGiant94

GreenGiant94 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good to know. I was thinking that the later years where better.

2. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

this has been my experience also...the tow rating on my truck (5.4) is 7100#.

3. GreenGiant94

GreenGiant94 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright. For the most part I will be towing mowers and stuff like that. Every now and then I will probably be towing heaver stuff. We do so car restoration and now and then we have to tow one of them.

I'm thinking I might could put some upgrades on it. Would that help a lot?

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You mean international. Powerstroke is what Ford Named the diesel. The new Ford diesel is called Powerstroke.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant polish a terd!

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

so many people on this thread alone have no idea what they are talking about!!:hammerhead::laugh::dizzy:

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

That's what I try to tell a lot of people. The GVWR for a 5.4 isn't much less than that of a diesel. I had a 2001 7.3 PSD and grew tired of staring at $1000+ repair bills. I know many rawe over the 7.3 but fact is they had their share of problems, nothing compared to a 6.0 though.

Just checked Ford's website and the new PowderSmoke is a $9000!!! option, that's one expensive ticket to a nightmare.

8. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

So many people in most threads have no idea what they are talking about; it is just more difficult to recognize in those threads.

9. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

i do not by any means intend to offend anyone, but the facts r the facts $500,000,000 in warranty claims on the 6.0 and ford severing its relationship with navistar says it all. Ive worked on diesels for many years, the 6.0 is a mastery of complex design, and a mechanics dream. they smile every time one is in the parking lot or on the back of a flatbed and their smiling because they know u will be paying for their kids college tuition...........to be fair every diesel engine has been plagued with their own shortcomings just not as many as the 6.0...u might not like a dodge/cummins combo but they have 40% less parts to deal with and everything is accessible. No ford doesn't own cummins you can get cummins engine in class 6 trucks, as well as a cat motor. yes navistar counter sued and lost........and yes if your not carefull a 5.4 engine will puuuck its spark plugs........if u can a descent truck that has a good warranty then buy it, as soon as warranty is over get rid of it, u will be paying top dollar to fix it. I am only speaking from experience i know many here own 6.0's....................im sorry..... few of the bugs in that engine were redesigned by 07 model year, not all of them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow, thats a very accurate post! Its amazing to see..