Ford 5.4 motor issues.. Ticking??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLandscaping, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BLandscaping

BLandscaping LawnSite Member

My one truck is a 2004 f150 hd with the 5.4 motor. Couple months ago it started making a ticking noise. Its got 80k miles on it and already had the plugs and coils replaced(not cheap), ford garage says they wont know what it is until the tear into it. And my local mechanic said thos motors are headaches when they get the tick/knock. Any body have this same issue or have any advice on how to help/fix the problem?

Thanks

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Without actually seeing it, it's hard to diagnose. But, I know a lot of them develop exhaust leaks at the manifolds that sound like "ticks". It's pretty common for them to crack the manifolds and/or blow out the gaskets.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Camshaft phasers make the noise as well as timing chain and or guide wear.

4. S&S Lawn ServiceLLC

S&S Lawn ServiceLLC LawnSite Member

Yep cam phasers!I also have a 04 F150 with the 5.4 and had the same issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BLandscaping

BLandscaping LawnSite Member

Cam phaser? Tough/expensive? I also heard before trying any motor work, to try a heavier oil..?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Band aid repair for hydraulic lifter woes. Won't help with OHC modular motors. Equal chances its a cracked manifold of valvetrain issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Tuttled

Tuttled LawnSite Member

try a semi synthetic oil change 5w20 and a motorcraft oil filter. Motorcraft semi synthetic and motorcraft filter both available at Wal-Mart............. cheap fix if it works. No heavier than 5w20, if that works it will be a cheap fix!

8. S&S Lawn ServiceLLC

No oil is gonna pro long the noise.Put the repair off and your gonna end up putting another motor in when you drop a valve.I worked for a Ford Dealership,maybe not as a mechanic but I spent enough time going through the service dep. to say DONT PUT IT OFF!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. S&S Lawn ServiceLLC

You are gonna need cam phasers and lash adjusters..thats gonna run ya $1,500 or more by a dealership I can promise ya.Indepent shop I cant answer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

It could be a exhaust manifold they were know to leak, or the cam phasers. Any time you tear into a motor like that you might as well go ahead and replace all the gaskets because once you put one new one in the old ones typically start to fall apart and 1500 for the job is highway robbery when the parts are 200 At the most.