Ford 5.4 motor issues.. Ticking??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLandscaping, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Great looking truck!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pizz poor attitude by Ford. Engines aren't supposed to make odd noises espcially at only 70k miles. Heavier oil defeats the purpose of these engines being designed for modern light weight oils to improve fuel economy. It certainly won't reassure anybody when you go to sell it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mpkav

mpkav LawnSite Member

Thanks Ducnut...I bought it as a stock F150 and blacked it out!! It's a good truck!!
    Patriot, there has been a TON of complaints over the 5.4 3V motor. There were petitions going around to get Ford to recall the trucks because of the cam phasers. Ford refused to do it and it drove some Ford customers away. I agree 100% something should have been done. The other MAJOR complaint is with the spark plugs. They break when you go to replace them. It's a HUGE pain in the rear!! I have never done much automotive work before but this truck is actually very easy to work on. YouTube is a life saver for repairs!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 03 F350(dually dump bed) with the 5.4

My girl is ticking but I was told by a super reputable mechanic in my area that as long as the ticking isn't bothering me, then don't worry about it...

I also have a guy that does the manifolds for these for 300 bucks at his little shop at his house.... SWEEET!

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Those manifolds are some job to replace $300 sounds good.

image.jpg

6. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

The '07+ GM 5.3's with Active Fuel Managment have this problem with consuming oil.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/114835-oil-consumption-issue-with-dealer/

Not trying to start anything, but ALL trucks (import and domestic) have problems.

Full disclosure, I have a '09 Chebby with the 5.3 that uses zero oil between changes.

7. The Gardener's crew

The Gardener's crew Banned

We run a 5.4l with 289k miles on it. We had a problem similar to yours. You crank it up and it would tick. Local shop went with a heavier oil and it stop ticking. It started around 115k. We have had no problems other the coil packs were changed. Thing still runs strong.