Ford 5.4 vs. 6.0 desel engine

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGiant94, Jan 23, 2010.

1. GreenGiant94

GreenGiant94 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a ford f-250 or f-350. I was wondering in the 250s what the gas mileage is on a gas 5.4 vs a diesel 6.0. How much more power does the diesel 6.0 have vs the 5.4. How do you all like these engines, any problems? I would like a diesel 7.3 or maybe a gas 6.8 but I'm having a hard time finding these in a truck I like, so I'm trying to find out if I had to go with one of the others which one would be best.

Thanks

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You cant reallycompare the engines. Theyre night and day. 6.0 beats it in every category. But depending on the year, the 5.4 could be ALOT more reliable! 6.0's from 03-05 werent the best, 06-07 were good ones. 5.4's had theyre issus early on. But i believe it was the 05+ they went to the 3 valve design, which made them alot better.

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

5.4 love superchargers or turbo's. I am a Chevy guy but the 5.4 are also in the Mustangs.

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Nope the 4.6 is in the mustangs.

5. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2005 f-250 5.4 with about 53,000 miles Only problems i had with it was something with the fuel injectors. Other then that i cant say i had any problems other then i brought it back to the dealer a few times because the ride of this truck has to be the worst riding truck we have ever bought. You hit a pot hole and the back end of the truck swings out.

Also have a 2008 f-350 5.4 as well with 20,000 miles. Truck rides better then the 05 only problem we had with this truck was the master cylinder went at like 12,000 miles :laugh: under warranty

6. GreenGiant94

GreenGiant94 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright thanks for the info

7. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Actually, the Shelby Mustang has a supercharged 5.4 engine in it.

8. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

wasnt talking about shelbys..