Ford 6.7 Guys- Hows that Engine?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Jan 6, 2012.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I know there is one post where a guy mentions a utility company that lost multiple 6.7's in less then 20,000 miles. I have only heard about a few issues when the Ford 6.7's came out but things seems to be pretty quite with any complaints. It's still the 6.0 & 6.4 that everyone is pissed about.

I wanted to heard from guys with blue oval 6.7's and hear how many miles they have and any issues they have encountered. Ford desperately needs the 6.7 to be the Holy Grail of engines since the international 6.0 & 6.4 made a ton of die hard Ford guys into D-max & Cummins owners.

The last decent Ford engine was the 7.3 and it was not as stout as the 12 valve & 24 valve 5.9 the competition had under the hood. The 5.9's were the Chevy 350's of the Diesel world and had stock internal that could handle insane power levels.

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

The 6.4 was brutal on fuel. I thought i heard that it was otherwise pretty good but then again you have to wonder why they only made it for 1 year.

3. PlantscapeSolutions

For any Diesel owners it good to have a subscription to Diesel Power magazine. For the Ford guys it lists all the issues with the 6.0 and the lesser issues with the 6.4. It shows you all the aftermarket EGR deletes or improved EGR's from places like Bullet Proof Diesel. You can get the improved divider that keeps the engine oil from mixing with the oil that is used to fire the injectors. After market oil coolers that cools the oil that gets heated when it's pressurized to fire the injectors. For 6.0 guys the $1200 ARP 625 head studs to prevent blown HG's. Turbo's to replace problematic variable vane turbo's on the 6.0 and a few more goodies.

I think for a 6.0 for parts and labor you can easily be looking at $3000 to fix everything. If you don't do the $1200 studs there is a high likely hood you will get to see what your truck looks like with the cab removed and $2000 or more missing from your bank account.

Because the 6.0 has such a reputation as a turd motor you can find them for cheap and fix the problems. The 6.4 resale value isn't anything to brag about but it not as bad as the 6.0. If you plan on running the hell out of a 6.0 or 6.4 it's not a bad deal if you can pick one up at the right price and swap out the problematic parts.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

im no expert but from what I understand, there is NO fixing a 6.0. It seems as though there are fundemental design flaws right to the core.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

The biggest structural design flaw is the skimpy amount of head bolts. The ARP heads studs allow your to clamp the head down with greater force and puts a stop to blown HG's.

I'm no blue oval fan but I'm trying to get some neutral feedback from Ford guys as to how the 6.7 is holding up. All the 6.0 & 6.4 fix info is from the after market experts who have had great results reforming those bad boy 6.0's and less naughty 6.4's.

I have the ARP 625 studs on my inline 6.7 as well since it is modified a little. It's hard to believe that a handful of heads studs will set you back $1200.

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have one with 14k. Not even a hiccup, great truck so far. I have heard of some high pressure fuel pump failures from poor fuel quality in the US. I would run an additive at every fill up if you get one.

Ford uses the same Bosch pump that Volkswagen and Audi have been having problems with. You can thank the good old environmentalist for the poor fuel in the states.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

ARP headstuds + EGR delete + turbo and they are pretty solid

I would never own a 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7.

We had a 7.3 that was amazing.

Between my Dad and I we have had all Duramaxs ever since. I had an 02, 06 and now 07 Classic. My Dad had an 02, an 05 and now his 2012. I usually get rd of them @ 100k even though there is nothing wrong with them. I'm going to keep my 07 for 200-300k though.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Problem is if you want a 550. The GM's are cool but an odd ball, little too big. The Dodge's are rare and expensive. Im starting to lean toward a regular 1 ton which are all over the place with good deals and a wide aray of diesels and gassers to choose from.

9. PlantscapeSolutions

I recall your post on this issue. You can get a dually like my 09' Ram 3500 and airbag the axle with PacBrake units and the bed will hold more then a stock 4500 or 5500. Throw in some 4.10 gears and it will have unbelievable hill climbing power. My truck has the 3.73's.

Contractors who buy the 4500's & 5500's run them for 300K+ miles so you rarely see a low mileage unit for sale. Until the CR 5.9 came out in 2003 it used to be hard to find even a decent 2500 or 3500. All I could find was the Ford 7.3's that everyone had for sale.

10. PlantscapeSolutions

GravelyGuy have you ever been to the Ford Diesel forum? I peeked over their to see what issues people had posted and there's a lot of diehard blue oval guys will attack you the second you post something unflattering. A few new guys were posting major issues that they had encountered and some of the guys on the forum wanted to see receipts and all kind of crazy stuff to prove there was really a problem. They were accusing anyone with an issue they couldn't prove of being a "mole". Apparently the term "mole" was being used to ID people who don't bleed blue and have blind faith.

I've seen guys on TDR who were spewing hate about Dodges get some grief but the Powerstroke.org site seemed to have a handful of members who were just dying to lynch people. Even the site administrator had to step in and tell the lynch mob to back off. I guess after the 6.0 & 6.4's some of the blind faith Ford to the death guys have become overly sensitive about criticism.