1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford 7.3 Diesel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Nov 20, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone running the ford 7.3 diesel motor? How are these motors for towing heavy loads. I found a 2001 Ford F-350 XLT crew cab 6.5 bed with the 7.3 diesel. I test drove it today and it ran good. Also how long can these motors last for? What mpg can I expect with this 1ton truck being 4 door and hauling a 18ft trailer with two Dixie choppers on it? I need some quick info cause I am letting the dealer know tomorrow if I want to buy it.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a 2000 and it runs great i have the 6 speed trans
  3. talonracn49

talonracn49 LawnSite Member

I have a 99 with the 7.3 powerstroke. Has 205K on the odo and runs great - -pulls like crazy.

On the weekends it tows a 28 foot enclosed trailer with an ASA Racecar and pit boxes, etc -- about 10K lbs, plus the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood. I am never down on power -- and am usually in the fast lane.

Mine seems to get right at 17.5 mpg.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have bought about 12, Ford F250 and F350 Powerstroke diesel pickups in the last 4 years. All had 225,000 - 249,000 miles on them when I bought them. I use some and sell the others, to have a little extra income in the off season. All of these trucks are still going strong, and some are nearing 300,000 miles now.
    As to pulling. They are real dogs in the area of torque. You have to really bury your foot in it to get away from a traffic light, towing a loaded trailer. However, once out on the road, they pull great. If you want torque, then the Dodge/Cummins is the way to go. My one dodge diesel pickup will spin the tires from a stop with a loaded trailer if you just lightly put your foot into it. No way that happens with a Powerstroke.
    If Ford would put the Cummins in their pickups, they would have the best all round truck on the road in my opinion.
  5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We run several of them and have yet to have any serious problems a couple of them have about 150k on them. If the price is right Buy the truck you won't be sorry.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same rig that's been outfitted with the HD towing package, (aftermarket) engine brake, and turbo boost with a power chip. Nothing can pass it even towing 7,000 - 8,000 lbs. of loaded trailer. It's a beast!! It gets (swear to G0D) 24 MPG in town, and 27 highway. With the loaded trailer, it goes down to 19-20.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The engine is good, if its automatic, that transmission is crap.
  8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea I did notice that I had to press a little on the gas petal to get up and go (1800RPM) but it got up to speed pretty quick. But I drove it and it performed pretty well today. Any body else, I need to know before I go to tomorrow if I decide to finalize the deal.
  9. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I also have a 2000 7.3 6 speed love it pulls like a mule. I think that it's better than the 6.0
  10. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

We have a 99 F-350 7.3 6 speed and have used it to pull everything from skid steers to backhoes with no problems whatsoever. As stated above, its
    slow out of the gate but will pull about anything you can hook up to. Average around 16 mpg.