Ford 801 Select O' Speed

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Varsity L&G, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Just got this tractor and will be going to pick it up in 2 weeks.

Can anyone share some info on what to watch for, what I can and can't do with it?

Mainly got it to bush hog, run a harley rack, and all around tractor type stuff.

Any tips and tricks? I have never owned a tractor before.

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't pull a harley rakE big enough to cover its tracks, Watch that SOS tranny, its nickname is the jerkomatic, or finger remover! If you need a new SOS cable, try Keller bros Ford in PA, they are the experts in SOS repair!

3. Varsity L&G

Should I sell it and what could I get for the same money I could sell it for?

4. DiyDave

Sell or keep, is up to you. To determine value, go over to YTMAG or check out iron planet. My guess is its worth at least 3-4K if its in good mechanical shape, more if its rare or a demonstrator. I am not a Ford man, but they do have a Ford forum over at YTMAG, so you could find out from a search there.:waving:

5. Varsity L&G

Thanks for the Info, I inherited the tractor.

Here are some not so good pics of it.

I hve never even started or driven this tractor so we will see how it goes. Been atleast a year since someone started it or plowed with it.

Photo's are dark, I will upload more when I get it back here to SC from VA this weekend.

PIC_0159.jpg

PIC_0160.jpg

PIC_0158.jpg

PIC_0167.jpg

PIC_0168.jpg

6. Varsity L&G

And More of the attachments

PIC_0169.jpg

PIC_0170.jpg

PIC_0171.jpg

7. DiyDave

That's a nice looking original tractor! Take a look down the left side of the tractor, above, and near the starter, you will see a flat spot, with some numbers stamped into it. These numbers are the model and serial #'s. If you go over to Ytmag.com, they have a serial # list on the left side of the page, that will tell you the year. I have a friend that collects Fords, but as I said before, they are not my cup of tea, being an Allis man, the only thing that I do know for sure is that the SOS brings the value down a little. I'll ask the Ford man what he thinks its worth when I see him this weekend.:waving: