Ford C6 starter hole wrecked

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas how to fix this? The starter bolt has widdeled out the mounting boss in the transmission.

It's beyond me why the idiots at Ford decided to mount their 30lbs starters to the flimsy aluminum bellhousing. Gonna stick to Chevys from now on!!! :hammerhead:

DSCN1182.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

From how your backing plate corroded and the rot of all the surrounding metal it looks like salt ate it all up? I don't see a good repair for your issues. Looks like replacement is the only solid way. I have worked on a lot of vehicles and never saw one even close to yours.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

what kind motor on that? They are notorious break mount hole that with Ford 4.9L

It seem someone play with gas pedal when try start cause engine run but hold starter to spin until disengage.

I have broke 3 starters in short time most they were crack case. Now no more problem.

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 351W I believe. Probably not a 4.9 since it is a 1986 4WD F250

How did you end up fixing your cracked case? Replace the trans?

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

NO not that. It was starter's shaft support crack. I am not sure if I still have pic of that.

I am not sure if you need replace transmission I can't remember if it just bellhousing for this could be replace.

Is bellhousing actual with transmission? like you must replace tran? Can you see bolts for bellhousing to off transmission?

Well how many miles on C6 if it over 100,000 miles so it worth to replace but not know how much it would be.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can find some one that does aluminum welding they could weld the whole mess solid and grind it backdown and drill and tap a new hole. May not even have to take it off the truck if you are lucky.

7. khouse

I believe the steel backing plate would hinder a weld job. Since the bell housing is part of the case it looks like a replacement is in order. But the C6 is perhaps the easiest tranny to rebuild. They are tough as nails too.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well it was an idea.

9. khouse

Fixer,
    It is a good idea too. Maybe he should take it to an aluminum welding shop anyway? Nothing wrong with a 3rd opinion.

10. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

I love these kind of threads,wish there were more!sorry to hijack..