Ford C6 stays in high gear

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I just rebuilt the entire trans out of a 79 F250 and it shifts fine manualy. But when it's in D and I pull up to a stop sign the truck stays in 3rd gear. One thing I didn't rebuild or tear apart was the governor. What else could it be?

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I asked my friend who builds all of my transmission and he said with the info i gave him from your post, he said its your Governor is getting stuck..He also said take it out and clean it really good with break clean and make sure it spreads open & closes freely. hope this helps

3. zz4guy

Thanks!! I'll try that tonight...

4. zz4guy

Ok, got that part fixed!! Cleaned the governor out and now it starts out in 1 and upshifts correctly after a stop sign.

Still having a problem that it will not down shift when I step on it. Say I'm going 35mph and slam the gas it will stay in 3rd gear. That is slow enought that it should drop at least one gear right?

What should I try next?

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Check you kick down linkage (most older fords) have a rod coming from the trans to the carb, check it to see if their is any slop or if their is something binding it up ( it should move freeley) and last but not least if you alread havn't change it then spend the few dollars and get a new vacume modeulator, remember that even if it looks new it can still be bad and cause hard and lazy up shifts! Hope this helps keep me posted.

6. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Check the vacuum modulator. Cheap to replace.

7. zz4guy

New vacuum modulator. New hose at the trans. I'm getting 15psi vacuum down at the trans. The vacuum drops when the engine revs so it should be working.

Any other ideas? How does the kickdown lever work inside?

8. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

There is a small rod that goes in the modulator. Make sure it didn't fall out when you were rebuilding or changing modulator. You can also pull pan off and make sure linkage is moving the valve in the valve body from kickdown rod.