1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford ,chevy, Dodge

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FordManKubotaDreamer, Aug 18, 2005.

1. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I curently own a ford and am looking for another truck thats good at pulling any suggestions? Ratio of 4.1 or better

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about ratios and stuff but EVERY Landscape Co. in my area has at least one 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD's. Thats what i want! With an 8 ft. Fisher HD MM2 Plow!!

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

well currently own a ford f350 4x4 dooley PSD, love it..... previously owned a chevy z71, chevy blazer... spent too much $$ in parts a repairs..... have heard bad things about Dodge but have never owned one.... but i sure do love the way the new body style Dodge Ram crew cab dooley looks... something about it looks good...... i dunno though im a ford man ..... iwould say based on my experience i would stick with the Ford. What kind(of ford) do u have now?

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Get one of these: GMC 2500HD 6.0 ltr/4:10 gears

Rated to pull something like 10,500+ lbs. Pulls our 26ft 7500lb camper with ease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic was before I installed the wheel to wheel nerf bars. Now both trucks have them.

BTW, the BLUE 2002 is FOR SALE.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

new 06 ford i got on order will pull 30,000 lbs. 4.88 limited slip

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

F-350 dually dump truck with 4.10 limited slip gears.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

IMO. As long as you get one of the big three, you cant go wrong. They all make good quality trucks. IMO the dodge trannys are fine, it seems as if the fords are the trouble trannys, but IDK, I have no personall expierence.

Honestly, I would just get the cheapest one ton with what you want (4.10, 4.30, diesel, gas, 4x4, 4x2, etc.) out one of the big three, which will supprisingly most likely be chevy if you buy one by september 6th (when employee price ends).

Or, wait until like october and get a 05 450, because they mark the 05's down to make room for 06's. At least thats how it is in detroit.

8. FordManKubotaDreamer

I currently own a 2002 F-150 Supercrew Fx4 HD towing package. It has no troubles pulling anything yet but would like a bigger truck to plow with maybe. I do not personally like the dodge. From what I've seen they have immense power but they cant put it to the ground.They have truck pulls all the time here and the dodges are either loosing or breaking. I personally like the 06 F-350 w/7.3 stroker and 4.88 gears.

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

'06 Fords don't have the 7.3--those were phased out in '03. Get the 6.0L PSD or the V-10 (which has come a long way) and a stickshift in a F-450 and you'll be fine.

10. FordManKubotaDreamer

Im not a big fan of the 6.0 I really like the 7.3 well i guess ill just have to keep looking.