Ford Diesel Auto Trans

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newblade, Mar 2, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Has anyone got one of these and had any problems? :cool2:

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What year is the truck? There are a few that were used C-6, E4OD, 4R100, and Torqueshift.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

got one, plow with it, 2002 7.3 auto, trans fluid flush every35k no problems yet 70k on it now. in the shop once for leaking injector pump o rings, no biggy105 bucks duductible on 100k engine warranty. :D

4. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

year 1995 and up.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

From 92-97 Ford used the E4OD. From 99-03? Ford used the 4R100 in the 7.3. The 6.0 has the Torqueshift. Ford had some durability problems with torque converters in the E4OD. There are a ton of aftermarket parts that can really beef up this trans. I would not hesitate to buy another Powerstroke in good condition. Just know if it has the original trans that at some point it may need replacement. Check out TheDieselStop for more info.

6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Our 4X4 2000 F250 Superduty 7.3L Turbo Diesel is 5 speed overdrive auto trans, not a stitch of problem at about 30K miles now. We do snow removal with it (what a waste of a Superduty if it doesn't plow snow!!).

We treat the engine good, our trailer's got brake pads.
    You got to bid into your accounts the fact that at every 30K miles you need to fully change out the transmission oil and filter. Our Ford Dealer does this for $500 + tax.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Have 7 Ford F250 Powerstrokes with auto. trans. all are 1996 or 1997 models. all have over 225,000 miles on them, a couple are near 250,000 miles. All needed trans. rebuilds at about 130,000 - 160,000 miles. None have needed a second rebuild so far. All are used to pull trailers most of the time. Really can not complain about their performance. We do not plow snow with them.

8. mlcland

mlcland LawnSite Member

i bought a f-350 diesel with torqshift trans tranny started engageing really slow around 6800 miles totally dead at 7245 miles ford put new tranny in and now at 7865 tranny is slippin hate the trans and truck gets only 7-8 miles per gallon 6.0 sucks shouldve bought a 7.3 ~~~!!! it is a mason dump and yes i do plow snow

9. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I know 5 people that have the 6.0 diesels in new 2004 trucks. Out of those 5 trucks, three of them have had new transmissions. One went after 700 miles, another after 2000 miles and the other i am unsure of. Ford gave two of them rebuilt transmissions and one guy a new tranny. looks like they have a few bugs to work out.

10. mlcland

mlcland LawnSite Member

ford is telling me they will give me a 6yr 100k mile tranny waratny you really think that is true has anyone heard of this ?? when that truck went down i lost at least 2k we didnt have it for 2 storms but on the second they gave me a loner but still why buy a new truck if it isnt going to work and make $$ i might as well have kept my 10 yr old chevy.....