Ford diesel problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Johnson LCO, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using my f350 dually more and more lately and it seems that the truck is having a problem. It has the 7.3 psd with a 6 speed manual transmission. Anyway, it shifts fine but when I start from a complete stop it makes a grinding noise. Right when I release the clutch it makes this noise. My mechanic said it was normal (months ago) but a buddy said that it was not. Time to get a new mechanic. All of the other gears are fine but it does the same thing when I start in 2nd, again only from a complete stop. Everyone says the 7.3 was strong and starting with even my little 2500 pound lawn care trailer it seems sluggish starting in 1st. I often use Low but I shouldnt have to with such a small load. I am thinking this may be a problem with the pressure plate but have no idea whatsoever. Any help is appreciated.

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sounds like the throwout bearing??? At least a clutch replacement is alot cheaper then a rebuilding a auto tranny. At least it used to be..............:usflag:

3. Johnson LCO

I can prolly get the clutch replaced for the cost of the part, I just am not sure that is the problem.

4. LSUstang05

LSUstang05 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a TOB or the clutch. Have you noticed the truck slipping in gear if you floor it or shift it hard? Is the grinding happening when you are shifting into the next gear or just when you come out of the gear? It could possibly be something internal with the tranny (bent shift fork or bad synchro's)

5. Johnson LCO

It grinds when I release the clutch not when I shift. I have found that sometimes it is had to shift/ doesnt shift correctly, but that is very rare. As I said it shifts into first but right when I release the clutch it grinds. I am going to have a mechanic look at it tomorrow but anted your guys opinions. It grinds less if I give it a lot of gas, not sure why though.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

7. Johnson LCO

Thanks ryan, the mechanic today said the same thing. He said it didnt feel like anything was wrong and thought it was normal. Would make me feel better to know what it is exactly. I am taking it to another mechanic on monday just to make sure.

8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Does it have a dual-mass flywheel?

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

funny:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

maybe there's some kind of problem with the clutch hydraulics... my dump was doing the same thing and i replaced some gizmo for the clutch that had to do with the hydraulics... a gearbox oil change and now it sounds and runs much MUCH better...idk what i'm talkin about just my two cents!