1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Diesel Q's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenAcresFertCo., Jun 19, 2009.

1. GreenAcresFertCo.

GreenAcresFertCo. LawnSite Member

I know this has been beat to death but I need the ups and downs and ins and outs of a 2004 6.0 diesel. I know they had problems with those motors and was wondering if a 2004 was one of the bad years or what am I looking for as far as repairs and so on and so on. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Get a Oasis report on it it will tell you most of the repair history on the truck. If the Oasis report is 100 pages run like h*ll the truck has been a problem child. The 03-04 trucks did have more problems but otherwise its been hit or miss.

You have no choice you buy a high mileage worn out 7.3 or buy a low mileage 6.0 and deal with some problems.

You do a EGR delete and head studs with a 6.0 you cured the two major problems. I haven't done either yet with my truck I haven't had any problems but I don't drive my truck hard either.

I would take a 6.0 truck over a 7.3 I like the power the 7.3 can't match the power the 6.0 has.

As I said get a Oasis report you need the VIN number on the truck and get the report from a Ford dealer.

3. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer LawnSite Member

Head gaskets, EGR coolers, radiators, high pressure oil pumps, etc... lol. All years seem to be a problem from my experience.

If you want an OASIS let me know. I'm a service advisor at a Ford dealership. E-mail your complete vin to teklawncare@gmail.com and a fax number and I'll get it to you this afternoon.

4. GreenAcresFertCo.

Fax is F'ed up...could you email?

5. Ex CCS Racer

Sure, the tabs would be off a bit but it's readable. Go ahead and send it over. I'll be at work another 30 minutes.

6. GreenAcresFertCo.

Sent the VIN, thanks for checking it out.

7. Ex CCS Racer

Got it and emailed ya back.

8. GreenAcresFertCo.

Got it, those are great. Way more informative then a carfax.

9. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 04' 6.0...no problems after 5 years and over 70k miles. Good luck!

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6.0 with 180,000 KM's, no major issues what so ever. Has also been chipped since 80,000 km.