1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Diesel Turbo Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HacMan91, Sep 3, 2002.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Ive got a 94 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel 7.3, not power stroke. I cant tell if my turbo is working. It pulls my lawn trailer fine but the fuel mileage is terrible. I get around 9-11 mpg with the trailer. I cant hear the turbo whistling when Im driving. The power feels fine, but its hard to tell because it always drove this way. Ive had the truck about 6 mos. Ive taken the breather off and spun it with my hand and it will spin freely. Any suggestions on how I can tell if its working. My neighbor said something about a acuator. I know I mispelled that. Thanks.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You need a boost guage to tell if its working. Whiuel your at it,get an EGT guage,with these 2 guages,you can quickly diagonse most power problems quickly,or keep from melting down your engine.You should be able to find the boost specs for your truck easily.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: if the turbo is not operating you may have a very heavy white smoke from exhaust, my friends tur4bo went bad and when he came up to a traffic light it burst out a wicked white smoke, turned out to be a bad turbo unit. t

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

While thr turbo can cause white smoke,it usually causes black smoke,due to the lack of air the motor needs to burn the fuel,without the turbo working,the mixture is very rich,thus the black smoe(raw fuel) out the pipe.White smoke usually but no always is a sign of coolant in combustion chamber,or late timing,especialyl when the engine is cold.Like i said, rig up a boost guage,go for a ride,the only way to know for sure is to check the boost pressure with a guage.

5. skinnyd

skinnyd LawnSite Member
    from mass

I dont know much about diesels but for general info on Ford diesels you might want to try the site below.
    http://www.ford-diesel.com/

Good Luck.

6. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess that the blower is blowing. your truck out if the factory will make 8-10 psi max which is a big help for the should-be natural aspirated motors. i would like to know if you have an auto or stick and what gears are in the rears. Take off the muffler and go with an open intake the little filter under the hood was a bad design if you want to know more shoot me an e-mail I could help you roll a little fuel after you get some GAUGES.:blob3:

7. crawford_darrel

crawford_darrel LawnSite Member
    from NE Iowa

make sure the exhaust is not colapsed or badly retricked,

8. mipsud

mipsud LawnSite Member

i was just going to say that power strokes make about 17 psi stock out of the turbo and the older body stiles dont make that much turbo noise but if you want to create horse power you need to get a 100 hp chip and intake and 5 in exaust and a down pipe and you should then be creating about 750 ft lbs of tork....:D

9. mipsud

mipsud LawnSite Member

i was also going to say that i know a guy that has a newer body style f350 and he has a hyper tech controller and he can control the amount of boost that he wants to produce...:blob2:

10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

My "older" body style PS whistles a tune, could be that I can bury my 30# gauge. I do know that I've seen more "super dutys" in my mirrors than out my windshield.:D