Ford & Dodge knowing folks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Apr 6, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Guy at my chruch wants me to help him find a truck. He wants a Ford or a Dodge, quad cab, diesel and a utility body. He's got a logging company adn told me he's looking for something that is $15,000 - $20,000. I'm thinking $20,000 is what it will take but regardless..........

Certain details I might should look for while on truckpaper.com and trucktrader.com?

I know about the 6.0L with the Fords being so so but from 2004+ those were pretty solid but the 7.3 is the work horse.........correct?

Dodge has a fair transmission in the older models........46RE?.......the front ends are a bit week and to stay away from a '53' block. These are the older models around 2000 but anything specific on the newer models?

2. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Lots of guys will say to look for a 5.9 cummins. Proven engine and can be found in trucks up to 07. 04.5 and newer had a little more torque then the previous years but not a huge difference.

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The 7.3 is the best diesel ford has. Stay away from the 04's and up.
    Dodge has a great motor, but the fords are built tuffer.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

2001 to 2003 Ford with 7.3 might fit the price range he is looking at. Or 2005 up 6.0 isn't nearly as trouble prone 2004 6.0.

7.3 would be my first choice of engine.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

By 2000 the 53 block wasn't an issue anymore, they changed the castings around on them and they were actually heavier than the modern 5.9s. 7.3 is a good motor as long as they used the coolant additive they were supposed to. The 98.5-02 Dodge's are known for eating lift pumps, if the owner didn't catch that the LP was bad it would kill the injection pump too. The '03-up dodges are good trucks, but the LP is a liability on them too. If you're running the current spec fuel filter (7 micron vs. 10) it'll keep the truck from running, giving you the tip on if your LP has crapped out on you before your LP dies. If you add a fuel pressure gauge between the LP and the IP you'll be able to keep an eye on it. If he's into that kind of thing, the Dodge's are alot easier to make big power with if he wants to screw with it. Dodges also easier to work on.Sometime in '03 Dodge switched from the 47RE to the 48RE tranny. The 47 was ok as long as you didn't start adding a bunch of power to it, or tow super heavy all the time. The 48 is a very good tranny, I've seen some people claim that it actually has a lower failure rate than GM's Allison, but I don't know if that's true or not.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For what he is looking for it would be Ford all the way. Ford has a better 4wheeldrive system. Dodge uses a Dana 60 but it has that rotten vacuum actuated drive system. They have bad problems with ball joints and unit wheelbearings. Dodge P/U frame really isn't designed for a utility body and 90% of the time Dodge's rear springs are too light to carry and heavy weight.

He is going to have a hard time finding what he wants for the price he is willing to pay. I don't know what kind of utility body he wants ?

Something like a Reading truck body ?

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously you want to disregard the above post:)

With that said: I'd put him in a 7.3 ford if it were up to me. It would be hard to find a 6.0 or a common rail cummins in his price range and the 47re in the older dodges is not as reliable (on average) as the 4r100 in the older fords.

I personally believe the leaf sprung front end on the older ford superduty is a little less problematic than the coil sprung dodges from the same years.
    (As a diesel guy though, I personally went with the 24valve and the common rail cummins in my last 2 trucks)

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'll throw my .02 in here as well.

As much as I loved my 7.3, when the cam sensor left me high and dry for the second time in a year, it was time for it to go. My '05 6.0L has been absolutely fantastic for 40K now. Plus having the torqueshift underneath me makes me feel better with all that weight dragging behind me everyday.

As for the Dodge's, I'll first say I've never owned one but know plenty of people who do and I've researched them quite a bit. The Cummins (in my opinion again) is probably the best diesel of the the big 3's. It's just everything else the motor sits inside that seems to have so many issues. Lots of complaints with the truck itself after a few years on it.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well we all know my take. Ha! But yeh for that price range the newest dodge you can get is an 04 cummins, maybe 05. For the Ford You could get up to and 04, but id pass on the 04's. Id say 02-03 7.3 super duty. Very tough truck and hard to beat. Im currently looking for and 03 7.3.

10. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

are you selling your duramax?