Ford E-250 or E-350? Deisel or gas?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by vikingcompany, Jan 8, 2007.

1. vikingcompany

vikingcompany LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I am getting back into property maintenance and am planing on getting either a Ford e-250 or e-350 4x4 diesel. Which one of these two would you suggest? I really like the Ford brand. I plan on pulling a 7 x 16 Wells cargo, hauling my grass clippings in a dump insertion from Truckcraft with the leaf box and also doing plowing. I would like to know your opinion on if you think the E-250 is heavy duty enough and/or if the E-350 is an overkill on the durability side and a gas waster. Thanking you guys in advance for your answers in this important decision.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

do you mean F-250 or F-350? the E-250 and E-350 are work vans.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen a plow on a van before, and how are you going to put a dump insert in a van, i dont think the roof will support it.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you're set on a van I would look at the MB/Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter Vans. I was eyeballing one and they are very efficient, strong (MB turbo diesel) and look to be reliable for the most part.

hmm, I just re-read it before I posted... you mention a dump insert and leaf box, which would be impossible to use with a van. Also, hardly anyone plows with a E250/350. Did you mean F250/F350?

5. vikingcompany

from Toronto

Whoops, I meant F - 350 and F - 250. :hammerhead: I still have the cobwebs from the weekend

6. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go F-350 Diesel if you are planning on adding a dump insert.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I second that

8. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

350 diesel is what I got now. Had a 250 gasser and the diesel is alot better when its under a load.

9. GG386

GG386 LawnSite Member

Viking,

You did not mention if your looking at new or used.

If new, find an 07 NOT an 08. Ford no longer manufactures the 07 model. Starting this year emissions has put a stranglehold on diesels (Chevy and Dodge inc.) Ford's new 6.4 is a recipe for disaster. There is some really heavy rebates out there for the super duty's, take advantage if you can swing it!

If used, opt for either a 7.3 turbo or go with an "05" or later 6.0 litre. I have both models, the 6.0 is a little more snappy but tends to eat a liitle more fuel than the 7.3, but I do have a lead foot:nono:

Don't even mess w/ the 250's if not just for the brakes and cooling upgrades
    good luck on your search

10. vikingcompany

from Toronto

GG386,
    Why go with an '05 or later 6 litre? Was there something the matter with earlier models like the '03 six litre? That is actually the model I was considering.