1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford Engines, V10 vs 6.4L diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by f50lvr2, Feb 28, 2012.

1. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everybody,

I'm sure this has been covered before but it never hurts to get up to the minute advice. I'm looking for a new work truck and have been making a short list. So far the two stand outs are an '04 F350 SRW with the V10 gas and stick shift, and an '08 F350 DRW 6.4L diesel.

Both trucks are more than powerful for my needs, mainly city driving for mowing routes, and occasionally towing a boat to the lake with family, etc.

The trucks are basically the same price with the '04 having fewer miles and generally looking nicer but the '08 seems good value for the year and miles. My question is basically which is better?

I've been reading and it seems I'm only finding positive things about the V10 other than fuel mileage, but the 6.4L seems to be more controversial. With fuel prices going up and diesel still very high a gas truck seems tempting.

2. f50lvr2

3. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Seems like the gas truck is overpriced and the flat bed is underpriced. The flat bed might tell you a story when you go look at it.
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i agree, but can attest to the v10, we have 3 currently, and have had 5 at one time. flawless and powerful, kinda sucky on gas in a 350, but a 250 has seen a cool 14mpg
  5. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I love my v10 and will be upgrading it with another v10.

But between those two trucks. I would jump on the diesel. That price is too low to pass up.
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would vote for the v10. They are reliable or more reliable than the 6.4. It will use more fuel but diesel costs more. Gas engines are cheaper to maintain.
  7. f50lvr2

Wow, this is what I was worried about, it seems opinions run about half and half on this one. The V10 does seem a little expensive but it was very nice for its age/mileage and the actual purchase price would probably be around $10k. I'm going to go drive the 6.4l again today and maybe haggle a little and see what happens.

Probably leaning towards the V10 just because it sounds like it might be a little more reliable and cheaper to run. But, if that 6.4l is just a cracking deal I might be able to run it for a year and sell it for a profit.
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Will this be for more stop&go or heavy hauling? Gasser favors the former, diesel favors the latter.
  9. f50lvr2

Mostly short trips, stop and go, for a mowing rig. Occasional longer drives towing a boat or cargo trailer. Probably 90% short trips though. Nothing real heavy either, maybe 3-5k payload and towing around 6K.
  10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think you can go wrong with the V10. Yea the mileage is not great but nothing is great on fuel with stop and go or towing. I'm a little biased because I have one. The 6.4 was never a fuel sipper either from what I have heard.

Just looked at the ads and if something seems to good to be true (diesel truck).......Also some sellers will try to sell the V10 on it being rare and thats just bs stuff.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012