1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jake's Lawn Service, May 11, 2007.

1. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just trying to figure out what truck I am going to buy this summer when I turn 16:) so just wanted some advice. It will be used for part-time lawn cutting and for recreation. What do you guys think? 2007 Dodge Ram or 2007 F-150? Lease or buy or even find a used one?
    Jake

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt lease because in the end you wont own anything and if you mess anything up working with it they are goin to charge you for it. id go used considering it is your first truck

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

hmmmmm, i think its down to personal prefferance. i like fords, but there gas engines suck. after a few years they have exaughst leaks and run like crap. speaking of sucking is dodge with the way they suck gas. flip a coin or find the better deal

4. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Don't buy either!!! Buy a Chevy Silverado or a GMC Sierra!!!!!!!:clapping:

5. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 16. Take my advice and get something older. Wait til you see insurance on a 2007.

6. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I looked into insurance and it is about $160/month on a new truck.
    Jake

7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Yeah, 160/month under your PARENTS insurance! When I bought my first vehicle, I insured it ALL BY MYSELF! Its a good way to learn to be responsible and have some pride, which in my opinion is something that is lacking in todays adolecents! You can learn to be much more sucuessful and frugal by doing things for yourself, not receiving things on a silver platter. I agree with previous posts...get an older "rig," pay for it yourself, insure it yourself, and build your business and self worth from the ground up...the old fashioned way! You'll be much more sucessful if you have to think for yourself, and not let someone else do the thinking for you.

8. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Doesn't Ford have 0% for 60 months right now? Unless you are paying cash, using someone elses money for free is the best deal. I am biased also as I have an 04' F150 supercab 5.4 4x4. And the newest 5.4 is a great engine for a light duty full sized truck. It's not supposed to be a semi tractor. I like the silverados also but I have not heard about the financing on them. Never had good luck with Dodge. Good luck!

And where did he say mommy and daddy are paying for anything?

9. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

He never said anything about that. But if you ever priced insurance on a 2007 for a 16 year old, you better know its way higher then the 160 he said. Heck, for full coverage on my S-10 per month, it's over 300. And thats a 2000!!!

Thats why I'm buying a 1990 F-150 or 250....

10. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I am 35 now but when I was young I paid for my own insurance and cars even though it was under my parents policy (which most kids don't have the choice). Don't read into peoples posts. All he asked was which truck. I'm sure he is well aware of the costs involved as are his parents.