Ford F-150 with 4.2 V6

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kmason714, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Kmason714

Kmason714 LawnSite Member

Do any of you have a f150 with the 4.2 V6? I trying to find a truck for mowing and I found a truck I like but it has this V6. My question is do you think it will handle pulling around a mower trailer day after day. The trailer is a single axle 6x14 and with all mowers and everything is probably right under 3000#.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

It will pull a trailer and light load like that all day long.
    I pulled trailer with a Ford Escape for several years with similar weight b/f I got a truck.
    Didn't hurt it in the least.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

This is exactly what you're talking about with an auto. 9-11mpg in the city while mowing. I don't notice any extra performance going to a 3v 4.6 f150 while towing.
    [​IMG]

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it will get er done. I would had a pickup like the one above with a 4.6 v8 and a 5 speed manual. It was a great pickup. Alas it was totaled when a deer ran out in front of it. I miss that pickup.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Do you know what the ford factory tow rating is for your truck?

6. Kmason714

Kmason714 LawnSite Member

I havent looked into specs or anything. I havent bought a truck yet but have found a bunch of trucks for sale with that V6 so thats why i was curious if any had any experience. I have a newer ford with a V8 now but I dont want to work out of it anymore, I would rather buy a cheaper work truck for my mowing and stuff.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

3600 to 5000 in those years. 2012's are rated to 11000lbs in certain configurations with the 3.5 Ecoboost. How's that for innovations?:usflag:

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

The one in the picture 4.2 auto 2wd was 6600lbs towing 2375 payload. If you buy one make sure it's not a 97-98. I have had 4 of those trucks all 97-98 model years. The intakes leak coolant down into the motor without notice and lock up the motor to bend a rod or blow the head gasket.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

OK except for now the truck alone puts you on the DOT hit list.....

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That looks about mine, until it died.

[​IMG]