Ford f-250 Diesel Choice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tome8689, Feb 7, 2003.

1. tome8689

tome8689 LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to buy a Ford f-250...I'm not really sure which diesel engine to purchase. The 6.0 or 7.1..any feedback would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have the 7.3, from what I have read the 6.0 is great. Go to and do some searching and reading...much info there!
  3. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Like Ray said,research it.
    The 7.3 is tried and proven. The 6.0 has just come out. Too soon to tell what kind of bugs there might be.
    I'll wait for awhile before I take the plunge and get a new 6.0.
    I love my truck.:D
    One good point that was made by a member here is that you may be able to get a sweet deal on a new 7.3 on the lot now.
    With the new 6.0 out the 7.3's gotta go.;)
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the 7.3L for now. I think the 6.0L will be a good motor but really needs a few years to work out the bugs. If you have a good back up truck for when this one will be in shop for warranty then go ahead.

A auto wholesaler that we haul for has a new 6.0L. Loves the truck but at 3000 miles the electronic turbo is already needing a little love from a mechanic. Not the kind of headaches that I would want. My 2000 has been very trouble free, and I attribute that to the fact that it was out for a couple of years and the bugs were worked out.

The second generation PS came out with the first 99 models. There was no 98 model so the 99 ran for two years, by the time I got my 2000 PSD the gen 2 PS were out going on their third year. I have 145K miles on mine, many of which were hard towing miles. And have run a 75 HP power chip upgrade on it for about 120K miles. A friend of mine ordered a 99 and had to wait on production to get geared up on them from the change. His truck has been pretty good for him, but he said there were a lot of little things to annoy him for a long time until they one by one got fixed.

I know that there will be lemons in any thing. But would be fairly confident that the last of the 7.3L run will serve pretty dang good.
  5. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 6.0 but will wait a couple of years to get one my 7.3 is great with a 80hp chip.
  6. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

My 7.3 does everything I need it to do and I love the sound. I dont know about yall but I like it loud. Not Dodge Cummins loud but loud enough to really hear it. I also have a chip and my rig will run like a scalded dog.
  7. Brickman

Me too. I straight piped mine. I love that. And ricers HATE the noise and smoke. :D :D
  8. Bill Davis

So, you just cut off the Muffler? One of our farmers did that awhile back and said he liked it also. I saw the muffler and it is huge and it has to be restrictive. When can you tell the most that it is gone. Does your rig really smoke that much more?
    I puched mine today to get around a little acura and smoke came pouring out right at the guy, it was great.
  9. Brickman

Bill I cut the muffler out. And the reason it smokes is I got a 75 HP power chip. With out the chip it will barely smoke at all. EPA emissions and all of that.

The biggest thing I noticed with the muffler gone was it seemed a little more usable power. And a lot more noise.
  10. Bill Davis

That is what I want!! So, do i need to ask the dealership first about whether it will void my warranty? That would probably be smart.