Ford F-250, oil leak on the head gasket

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Roger, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Are you really busting his chops about being 72 and able to do this kind of work?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

No, not at all. Calm down. Go lay on the beach or something. There's no way I'll be able to do this work when I'm that age.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, no laying on the beach. The beach would be a good place to go if it wasn't for all the sand.

No rocking chair here either, no Lazy-Z-Boy, or any other such sitting furniture. Some of us don't "sit" very well.

However, we do like to drive our pickups, repair things, tow a trailer, ... be productive.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand. My Grandfather had a grading/plumbing business from the end of the Korean war till about 1997 or so. Retired sat down and went down hill. Other then burying a dead cow or horse here and there he didn't do much. I miss riding in that ol' dump truck with him. He passed away on 6-29-12.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Update: I opted to do nothing about the leak. I changed oil in early Spring, and have driven it about the same as last season -- about 5,000 miles per year, mostly pulling a single-axle trailer filled with mowers and equipment.

I still get a very small leak, small spots on the driveway where it is parked, but only periodically. I changed oil in mid-Summer as well. Between the Spring change, and the Summer change, I added one quart to top it off. Since the mid-Summer change, I have added one quart. So, I am loosing about a quart every 2,500 miles, over a three month period. The leak does not appear to be progressing.

I now believe I made the right decision to do nothing. I'm more than happy to add one quart of oil now and then, rather than having spent $3,000 on the repair. Actually, I am happy to add the one quart, knowing I didn't spend $3,000. A couple of quarts of oil is very cheap, over against the repair.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Shoot, Roger, my F150 uses a quart every 2000 miles and it doesn't even leak. Sounds like you are taking the correct course of action. One thing to watch, though is make sure the oil does not drip on anything electrical ie starters, alternators, etc.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You probably started driving easier once you knew the problem was the head gasket. If you start turning a lot of RPMs the oil builds up in the head and causes the leak to temporary get worse until it drains back. Highway speeds will cause this too if you travel long at high highway speeds.