1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-450

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bmoorefield, May 15, 2013.

1. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new or slighlty used Ford F-450 with a dump bed. This will be the first larger vehicle I will be buying, we have been using 3/4 ton trucks. A lot of the F-450's that I have been finding are 4x2, and the few 4x4's I find are signifigantly more $$$.
    I live in Maryland and have some plowing contracts, would a 4x2 be okay to plow with. I know its a heavy truck, but is heavy enough for plowing with only 2 wheel drive? Does anybody out there do this?
  2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Not sure what you are plowing but I do a few lots with a f350 dump and it's always in 2wd. I do have 2-3 ton of product in the box though. Have needed 4x4 3-4 times ever the entire winter and that was just driving between lots.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

4x4 is usually needed for between lots in our area.

You need a spreader for weight for 2wd
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. bmoorefield

So the truck would be fine with weight in it, unless it is a road with a steep incline. It sounds like the truck dry with a plow could cause some problems getting tracking.
  5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

i would buy a 4x4 and these are the only years i would buy, 2008-2010 they are the last of the real f450's the 2011-current f450's have the same size brakes, smaller wheels, they don't turn as well....smaller front ends, all around garbage. 2008-10 f450's turn extremely sharp, my buddy has crew cab dually 8ft bed and it can turn around in a small area then my regular cab 96 f350, its crazy.
  6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

First off the pick up and the chassis are two totally different animals. Second the 6.4 is less desirable than a 6.0 and that is saying something. Maybe thats due to the fact that the only thing the 6.4 is good for is a boat anchor.
    4x4 vs 4x2 depends on your lots and if you are going to run a v box or enough weight for ballast. Is 4x4 nicer , yes , is it a must ? No ! We have run many rear wheel drive dumps as our lots are larger and our trucks all have v box spreaders in them. Its Maryland , not Maine so our snows are usually wet not icy.
  7. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to consider (from what i have been told, and not sure if it is a issue for you), but a 450 can be used without cdls, but once a trailer is behind you they are required.
  8. bmoorefield

You don’t need a CDL unless the gross combined vehicle weight is over 26,000lbs. I think the GVW of the f-450 is either 14,000lbs or 16,000, maybe somebody who has one could chime in on that. It will definitely need DOT numbers. If you are towing a trailer that has a GVW of 8,000lbs you don’t need a CDL.
    CDL is not something I am interested in getting or making that a requirement for my employees.
  9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

14,000 lb gvw, same as my 7x14 dump trailer which weighs 4000lbs and can hold 10,000 vs. a f450 weighs 10,000 and can hold 4000 legally...which is why i went with a dump trailer. even if i was towing my dump trailer with a f350 dump with a gvw of 10,200 i would still be under the 26,000 and i would carrying a hell of a lot more then an f450. just some food for thought.
  10. bmoorefield

Thanks! Your dump trailer is a little stronger then mine. I would be safe because my dump trailer GVW is 12,000. So I would be 1 lb under the 26,001 gcvw limit. I had to look that up to make sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device