Ford f-650

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ma5tr, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

hello all,

I'm looking into getting a new f-650. Just wanted to get some opinions on which engine people think is a better choice...the Caterpillar or the cummins.

Thanks

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the cummins has more HP, but the CAT has more torque. both are very proven engines, but i would opt for the CAT engine with more torque, and unbeatable Caterpillar reputation and durability.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i have both a ford f750 w/ the cummins and c7500 w/ a c7 cat... the cat is by far the better engine, the torque is unbelievable, runs so smooth you just can't believe. that being said it's $$$ more than the cummings. so depending on what you're doing w/ it, and even though the dealerships try to say that the hp of the cummings makes up for the torque it's a lie, the cat would drag the cummings around the lot all day, cat is also a bit heavier (need to consider that w/ the 650) cummings are GREAT for especially road trucks, but for vocational stop and go stuff, you really want the torque. either way great truck I love my 750, consider getting air suspension though, my kodiak has them and the ford doesn't and if you'll be driving it (not a crewman) you'll thank yourself daily for the ride quality.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There is no comparison between the 5.9 Cummins and the 7.2 (C7) Cat. The C7 is a medium duty engine.

First question why would you want to buy a F-650 the medium duty Fords are not the best.

5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a new F-650 with the Cummins last year and have been very happy with it so far, the only problem we have had is a phantom electrical problem which cause's the batteries to run dead over a 2-3 day period , if you don't start the truck. We have put just over 23k on the truck so far and are pleased with it so far. It has the 7 speed trans.

F650 Small.JPG

6. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Heres My 650 Great Truck Has A Cat In It. I Also Have 2 F-750 As Well With Cats.

DSC02378.jpg

7. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Hey mrsops.. How do you like your F650? How does it tow? How much of a load can you carry in the truck? I'm really looking into getting a medium duty but cant decide between all the options.

Josh

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I met a guy last year with a new F-650 dump with the Cat motor, and a new F-350 PSD. He said the 650 got better mileage.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

my vote is for the cat! every 650 owner ive talked to who has the cummins in theirs says: yeh i like it, its alright. everyone i talk to with the cat, (several more people) Love it! everyone says its so great, and gets pretty dang good fuel mileage. cat all the way!

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The CAT is a good engine but check with the dealer about warranty and such. I heard from 2 truck dealerships that the C7 and other medium duty CAT engines are now going to have an Houred warranty along with milage (whichever comes first of course...). If thats the case, better watch idleing and all that.