1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford F150 4.6 V8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fool32696, Jun 13, 2008.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone pull their rig with one of these? I'm looking at buying one to pull a 14 foot enclosed trailer. What kind of mileage will I see?
  2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive heard 18 city no towing. dont know about towing
  3. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

ill let you know. just got a 4.6liter v8 150 and it will be pulling my 6.5x12 later this year
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I'll have to find out the hard way. I should be picking up the new truck in the morning.
  5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Under 10mpg with fully loaded trailer
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

that engine was not the strongest, i used an f-150 with that configuration, and it had some power issues. i like my 4.3l V6 that both my old truck and van had, and they both towed in excess of 9k
  7. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

The 4.6L Triton V8 is Ford's very best engine they ever made. I had that engine in the E150 van chassis, and it got 18.5 mpg with a 1500 lb. load, but it had been driven really hard before I got it, and started driving it gently. It was by far the best vehicle I ever had. Have you heard them start? Don't they sound great? They have a very strong start. This engine is very popular because of how reliable it is. I have heard of this engine lasting 500,000 miles with good maitenance and driving. The automatic transmissions on those are very good too. Don't expect a powerhouse of an engine, but it should be great if you drive gently.
  8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I had an 05' F150 supercrew auto with a 4.6L and 31,000 miles on it and at the time i was pulling my 6x12 enclosed with and i was getting 13mpg hwy and the faster i went over 65mph the mpg went down! I have seen it as bad as 9mpg loaded. I sold it because it was not powerful enough, driving up a simple incline with the trailer hooked to it would make it strain to the point i had a line of traffic forming behind me! The 4.6 is a good cruising around town engine but as far as my concern it isn't a work horse that's why i sold it and bought my other trucks 95 & 85 4x4's those 351w are strong and get the same mpg as the 4.6 and they don't strain pulling any of my loaded trailers.....Hope this answers some of your questions?
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My second rig last year was an '05 F-150 supercab 2WD with the 3.55 rear-end and the 4.6L. I pulled a single axle 14' trailer with typically one ztr, a 21", and handheld stuff. I had to keep O/D turned off with that gearing; even on the highway. With a 3.55, it still didn't run too many rpm's; whether at 70 mph or driving through the city.

I rarely got better than 11-12 mpg around town.
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I agree.

It's a great engine and should tow fine for you. The 5.4 3V is the power house, but I would still take the 4.6 in a 150. Over 5-6k on a regular basis, I would recommend going with a 250 anyway.