1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford F150, Dodge Ram, or GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by joed, Nov 14, 2010.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to get one these 1/2 tons in a 4X4, ext. cab version. It will be used for both personal use and for my small lawncare business on the weekend. I'm familiar with GMC trucks as I own an old one now and have been around GM trucks my whole life. Don't have any experience with the F150 or Ddoge Ram. Trucks I'm looking at would be:

2010 GMC Sierra

• 5.3L engine
      6 speed auto.

2010 Ford F150

• 4.6L engine
      6 speed auto

2010 Dodge Ram

• 5.7L Hemi
      5 speed auto

With discounts, Ford and Dodge are pretty closely priced. About $28K for each. GM is more exp. $32 for 5.3 model.

Anyhow, any feedback on the Dodge Ram and Ford F150 would be helpful. The one thing I don't like about the Ford is the height. It's way too tall. I like the GM style and height but it seems like an outdated truck. Haven't had a chance to test drive the Dodge yet.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

did notice that the f150 won work truck of the year, but they were comparing the "work" models aka roll up windows etc
  3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I really like the look of the new F-150's, that would be my choice. :)
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The Dodge has the nicest engine out of the three and is the most comfortable with rear suspension coil springs instead of leafs, so I would choose that one.
  5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

The fact of the matter is they are all good trucks, it's which one YOU like the best. Enjoy your new truck, I'm jealous. :laugh:
  6. delaford321

delaford321 LawnSite Member

I vote Ford. I just don't have very good luck with Dodges, and the GM is obviously pricier.

Dodge ram 1500 or why not a used or stripper 3/4 ton ram is the same price?

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

a lot of it comes down to personal preference...dont let someone else pick out your truck for you pick what you like and what you want to drive
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That pretty much sums it up. For what it's worth, though, I'd vote GMC, Ford then Dodge.
  10. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an '09 Ram with the 5.7. That engine blows away the other two and the ride is much nicer. I also liked the interior the best. It has done well so far, they're all excellent trucks, so pick the one you like best.

My only advice if you get the dodge is to find one with the 3.92lsd rear end, it really makes the truck a beast and gets better in town mileage than the 3.21 or 3.55 that come standard.

I had an '08 Titan before buying the dodge and to be honest thought it was a better work truck. Not quite the power of the dodge but still runs rings around the Chevy/Ford and was a fun truck to drive (great sound, steering feel and handling) and was a good hauler.