Ford F150 replacement key $120 No wonder their financial problems.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HenryB, Jan 26, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

They say my key is chipped so it's $120 for a second key.:confused: Are they kidding. This is why they are in financial trouble. Enraging their customers. After switching from ford to Toyota/Isuzu I'm trying to switch back to American. My Tacoma's and Isuzu's $3 a key. So far 25k miles leaky rear seal 9-11 mpg and a $120 key. Maybe I should have bought a Tundra.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

wow that sucks:cry: what year is the truck?

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

2005. I honestly want to believe the big three are as good as Japanese vehicles. Common sense just tells me they are not.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any chipped key is going to cost $$$, especially if you only have one. Did you lose the other one? My non-chipped Chevy key only cost about $3, so it's not about American/Foreign.

5. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

yeah my 04 f150 has a chip key but my 05 f250 doesn't but I'm glad $3 a key I like

6. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a chipped key it's going to cost you $$$ if it's a ford or toyota.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Chipped keys have been a fact of life for about 12 years now. Manufacturer is a moot point. BTW I think GM was the first that I can remember that had the security chip in it. From a domestic manufacturer.

8. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

You think thats expensive a friend of mine spent $450 to replace a key for a Lexus. Its a Ripoff.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Toy all the way....my 96 has 80k miles.....4x4, SR5....paid 24k for it in 1996.....its worth $8400...KBB.....tires, batteries.......gas...oil...that's it....Tundra's on the list when this one gives out?????

10. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

you'll love this, my wife had a chystler 300 with a chipped key and we lost it, it was like 300 dollars to replace it, they had to program it, find codes blah blah blah. I went and got 2 dollar copy at lowes and it works the same, no problems. WTH, ofcourse we never did anythign about it, but should have, biggest scam ever if you ask me