Ford F150?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Apr 12, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

For anyone who has been following my "search" for a new truck, you will know that I've been looking strictly at 3/4 - 1 ton diesel trucks.

At first I was very set on a duramax...but after talking with my mechanics, I realized that repairs on that engine are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE, so that led to me crossing that one off my list.

Then I started to look into the Ford Super Duty's...I was looking at the 99-03 7.3L's, which seem to be a great engine and in a great truck. I've looked at quite a few fords and they drive actually pretty nice. However, recently I found some information about the roll-over safety of the super duty trucks, they have no roll-over protection as the roof and supports aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the truck so the roofs collapse severely in the event of a roll over. Their height also doesn't help them in their stability. ***Safety is a huge thing for me, as I have been on scene and seen pictures of very severe accidents and I need to have a safe truck.***

Just the other day I started to look into the Ford F150's, 2004 and newer, so it would be the newer body style with a crew cab most likely. It'd also have the 5.4L V8 engine, so I think I could expect 19-20 MPG's on the highway? And from looking online, I've found that the towing capacity of an F150 in the year range I'm looking at will be either 8200lbs or 9200lbs, so as much or more than my current 6.5 diesel. But I also need stopping power as my 14' trailer doesn't have brakes (next trailer will be having brakes), I only tow one mower and some grass/leaves, but I want to make sure that this truck will stop that trailer without issue?

So if anyone can give me a good review of a 2004 or newer F150 that would be awesome!!!

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 2004 F150 with the 5.4 V-8. Highway your looking at around 17. I don't use this truck for work. But for what you are towing you should be fine.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

My Uncle have 07 Lincoln Mark LT. Mostly I drive miles on it to his deer camp. I log like 10K miles on it.

We get 23 mpg if you stay 63 mph with cruise control.

75-80 mph you get 14 mpg.

But honest If I were you I wouldn't dare to pick F150 for work. Tow 6K pound trailer get you 8 mpg.

This is one why he got F350 with 7.3L he get 20 mpg hwy and tow 10K pound camper he get 16-17 mpg.

He is sell his 2000 F350 it only 90K miles. Came from Florida.

4. mowerbrad

I do lawn care part-time so I only tow a trailer 2 days a week (not full days usually). Otherwise I will be using the truck to drive around town and about drive to my paramedic class 2 days a week (highway driving then). Eventually it will tow a 16' (maybe 18') trailer with 2 mowers and brakes on the trailer.

Seeing the pictures of the F250/F350 rollover accidents really made me think twice (not saying that I won't get one, just need to take into consideration). I know that the 2004 and newer F150's have great safety ratings which is VERY important to me. I would have thought that with the size and "beefyness" of the super duty series trucks, they would be a little better in accidents, but I guess I would be wrong. The F150 appears to be a little safer dispite being smaller in size.

The one thing I'm unsure of is switching from a diesel to a gasser. I like the way diesels drive, I can't say exactly what it is, but they just drive differently. I personally like the way they drive over the gas trucks that I've driven. With a diesel I don't need to worry about nearing its maximum towing capacity, so I will always have plenty of power to spare and can even tow heavier loads if need be.

Another big issue for me is that with the F150 I can afford a newer truck (2004-2006) but with an F250/F350 I will get an older truck (1999-2003). So I also have to take that into consideration and honestly, I like the interior of the newer F150's better than the 250's and 350's I'm looking at.

Lots to think about for me.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

We have several superduty trucks.

It impossible to roll over until you was idiot to turn tight at 50-100 mph.

But E350 van is very prone to roll over so we only can turn 25 mph or less.

At FTE there lot members that got roll over in F250 they made it without hurt.

But I wouldn't use F150 for that. Let say it fall apart when reach 150K miles.

One of my neighbor bought 2005 F150 with 150K for $4K It turn to be piece of junk. It was constructor truck. They have goose neck hitch and trailer hitch on frame were rip off. They end replaced rear axle and weld frame for hitch.

6. dhunterd08

dhunterd08 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 04 FX4 Supercab 5.4 up from a 97xl 4.2. I am seriously in love with it. My only regret is i have to get it so dirty! My trailer doesn't have breaks either and the biggest test i have put on it was last friday. 3 pallets of sod(2 in trailer one in bed) Becuase of rain the guy said they weighed about 2000lbs each. When they put the first one in the bed it squated pretty low and i was kind of worried, but as soon as i got on the road(about 43 miles to my job! about 2/3 highway) it was like realizing how much i loved it the first day i got it. Did great. I could feel it, but it still didn't have to get much above 3000 rpms and idles steadied at about 2000 going 60-70. as far as reliability i got it at 68000 and it now has 86000 and nothing but routine maintenance and respect. Pulling my daily load around the trailer might as well not even be there. Like i said all you will regret is getting such a pretty truck dirty. I got mine for 14500 cash that was last august and it was one owner and i looked for a solid year for a truck that was taken care of like i take care of mine

7. mowerbrad

Thanks for the review!!!!

I want to be very happy with my truck as I plan to keep it for the next 8 years or so. I'll put roughly 10k per year on it, maybe a little more, but probably about 100k over the entire time I own the truck. So i'd like to buy one that has less than 100k already on it and I have found quite a few that are in the $14000 range that have around 80k on them, so they are contenders.

Prior to looking at the F150's I thought I was pretty set on a superduty, but now the F150's are also looking really good to me (along with the superduties too). So its tough for me to decide whether I want to "step down" to a half ton gasser or stay with a 3/4ton+ diesel. Obviously, the diesel has alot of benefits but so does the F150.

Anyone have any experience with both trucks by any chance?

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Get a headache rack for the superduty and add to the ROP. by the way if you roll one over it doesn't matter what you have they all suck. The f150 is no better for roll overs. All trucks have a low crash rating compared to cars because of the weight and how they rate them. They test them hitting a fixed object. Hit another car that is lighter with a higher crash rating and see what happens.

9. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

The F150 with the 5.4 triton is a great truck. Plenty of power and good towing capacity for a 1/2 ton. You can really beat that truck up and it will still keep goin.

10. dhunterd08

dhunterd08 LawnSite Senior Member

I read your first post again and i thought i would mention a couple of things about the truck before you make that purchase(due to your comment about repair on the duramax). From much research myself i know a little about the common stuff

Issues:
    Spark Plugs-used to break in the heads all the time and have heard horror stories of 1300-2000 spark plug changes. DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Been talking to ford dealers since i got mine and my dealer said they got a new tool designed for this and they havent had one break in a couple months so your good there.
    infamous clicking or w/e with 5.4- People say at a certain mileage it starts making a weird noise although it doesnt harm the truck. I dont have this yet.....
    Wet Mats-check under the matts of the truck you buy i have heard a lot about water leaking through and causing big issues and costly repairs.
    Rear Differential-One truck i almost bought just felt kind of loose almost when driving it. I couldnt put my finger on what was wrong so i went to good old F150 Forums and looked it up. Sure enough they described exactly what i felt and a couple of days later they needed a new differential.
    Finally-do yourself a favor and get ceramic brake pads the brake dust is terrible. just a cosmetic thing.

Hope this helps! Trust me i have been there