ford f250 yes no??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by J&KLAWNSERVICE, Mar 13, 2008.

1. J&KLAWNSERVICE

J&KLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

ford f250 a good work truck to start out with?? if not which one? chevy dodge ect.... Thanks

2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

3. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Well which year are we talkin bout? I would start out with a 250. Im lookin for a 250/350 right now.

4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you plowing? There's a ton of factors that influence what kind of truck you should start with. If your just getting going and you don't plow get a V8 1/2 ton (depending on trailer size, a V6) 2wd truck and save a little on fuel, maintenance, and initial cost. If your plowing... yea I would start with a 3/4 ton 4x4 (I guess some 1/2 tons work too but everybody eventually moves up). I have a 2wd chevy (in my signature) that works great because I plow for another company. I like the brakes on the truck too... they stop my 12' utility trailer like its not even back there.

Oh, I'm a ford man too (yea please excuse the chevy, I got it for a steal), but there's a reason they are the number 1 selling truck in the USA...

Not starting a war, Chevy and Dodge have their respectable features too...

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

F250 or F350 4x4 is a good start. You could go with a GM or dodge 3/4 or 1 ton if you prefer...

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Yes F-250/350 is the best work truck. I went with Chevy though, because the F-250 gasser was pretty slow in comparison. If you want diesel dont walk, RUN away from the Ford dealer. Be prepared for 13 MPG no matter what you get for a 3/4 ton. Like other guy mentioned get a half ton if you dont want to plow.

7. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

How much money you got?

8. BongoJim

BongoJim LawnSite Member
    from 5

I have heard alot of good about the Ford f-250's. I am a GM man but I gotta say the ford are a heavier better built truck all around.

9. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I own a 2002 Ford F250. It is a great truck. The suspension is modified a little to take mroe beating from plowing in the winter. I pull a 7x14 enclosed trailer with it and when i plow i got an 8ft boss sd plow on it. I love my truck but gas is the other issue, it takes about $100 to completely fill it up. Hope this helps

10. BongoJim

BongoJim LawnSite Member
    from 5

How much is an F-250 now? I might trade in my 5500 bowtie on one soon.