Ford F450 Just Died

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Landrus2, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ford f450 power stroke diesel just died this morning. won't start I’m going to start a diagnostic text tomorrow .these guys are not easy to work on any ideas out there

Attached Files:

• qqq.bmp
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say your problem may be that it needs to be under the hood to run right... Or, your engine fell out... Hey, I found it!

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a 7.3 or 6.0 7.3 I would check Camshaft position sensor.

Or is the picture of a replacement engine?

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What about some details. Year, 7.3 or 6.0, how many miles on it? When did it run last and how did it perform? Is that a new shortblock from ford or what? It don't look like it just came out of a truck!

5. Landrus2

What did you do to my engine? :drinkup:

4e_12.jpg

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dang, you caught me... I tried to steal it to replace the gas sucking V-10 in my Dodge. But I couldn't quite lift it... Oh, could you pick up my nuts and send them to me... I seem to have dropped them when I tried to lift that engine.

7. Landrus2

With all do respect if you guys could help me you would know that is not a 6.0 or a short block but thank you for trying that is what counts:drinkup:

8. Landrus2

Very well I will send them on a small envelope.:drinkup:

506.jpg

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I'd start at the fuel solenoid. What little I know of diesels, is that as long as it is getting fuel, it will run.

10. Robebob

Robebob LawnSite Member

ok disreguard breezmisters remark, the 7.3 DI turbo or the 6.0 DI turbo doesent have a fuel shut off valve, i hate it when people who have no idea what they are talking about put their 2 cents in when it doesent even apply. it its a 7.3, 8 out of 10 its probalby a camshaft position sensor, the other 20 percent could be a host of things, to check the cam sensor just look at your rpm gauge on the dash, it should move to 150 or 200 rpm depending on the outside temperature and engine coolant temp, but it must have a mininum of 150 rpm and 500 psi of ICP(injecton control pressure) for the injector to fire as controlled by the engines computer, if the rpm gause works it could be an IPR valve that suck or maby somthing electrical. ford has a recall on all cam sensors, it can be fixed for free if the cam sensor is the problem doesent matter of mileage as far as im aware, im a diesel mechainc at a ford dealer so check with your local dealer. give me some more info as to when it acts up, if it fires up in the morning and then cuts out or dies but will start up after cooling off its probably (95% SURE) a cam sensor.... if its a 6.0 bring it to the dealer because the conrtols that allow the engine to start are much more complex than the 7.3 and you have to have the dealers scanner to diagnose with out a doubt. dont get cheap and bring it to a mom and pop shop, they will be changing parts for days for nothing, ive seen too many change parts according to trouble codes and the codes have nothing to do with the problem all they are are the effect of the problem not the root!