Ford f450 questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by recycledsole, Dec 1, 2012.

1. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Brakes, front end parts are going to wear on whatever you drive, and they are easy repairs and in the grand scheme of things are cheap. Or cheaper then payments on a brand new truck.

2. SaturnoAndSon

SaturnoAndSon LawnSite Member

Sorry if I was confusing. I did indeed mean the rest of the truck, not the 7.3 engine itself. I work on a farm during the time off from landscaping season and every single pickup is diesel. Oldest is a 96, newest a 2010 duramax. The 96 and 02 and 03 are starting to get those stupid problems. One week its a pitman/idler arm. Next week its brake lines. Next week its steering box. Then ball joints. Yes, its cheaper to maintain an older truck than to hoof $5-600 payments. But if you are in the situation where you don't have another truck to fall back on, a simple breakdown like a rotted brake line can cost you a good portion of a days work. Each has its ups and downs I suppose.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

My last 4 truck purchases in order of MY:

'02 had about 56K with the 7.3
    '99 had about 61K with the 7.3
    '95 had 22K with a 5.9 Cummins
    '93 had 48K with a 8.3 Cummins

A warranty on a truck or plow doesn't mean squat to me at 3 AM in the middle of a blizzard. That piece of paper does not plow or salt the lots. It does not make my customer happy with the service I committed to provide them with. Yes, it may save me money at the end of the storm, but that doesn't do anything for me when I really need it.

I would much rather spend money on a good, used truck that has less computers on it and is dependable, than something like my last 3 that I bought brand new and have spent far more money on and have let me down more times than the older ones combined.

Yes, I own 3 6.0s.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

That should be explained to a lot of people who NEED the new truck. You can usually find some great deals on used trucks which are just as, if not more, reliable than a new one.

5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I like 6.0's they need to have the heads studded, egr deleted, and they need a sct tuner installed asap, and that will make the tranny last a long time, and the truck will be a work horse like 7.3's are and probably get better fuel economy. They need to not be babied too, that is a serious issue, which causes turbo's to fail, my buddy hasn't plugged his 6.0 ever he bought it new in 05 and now has 160,000 on it. truck was driven every day up until last january. now it stays hooked up to 14' dump trailer until it snows

6. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

thanks alot gentlemen

what kind of serious regular maintenance do f450s and f350s require?
    for example, i know my tundra needs the timing belt/ water pump replaced around 100K. things like that

thank you very much

7. recycledsole

from MD

8. RSK Property Maintenance

v10 motor, probably not gonna be very friendly fuel wise, and not sure on the longevity of those v10's i would just go with a diesel if you can, don't look for low mileage like that either, i wouldn't buy something that was sitting so much, I would go with 100,000+ mileage means, It wasn't always in the repair shop or down and broken. when you do find a diesel truck, ask about the maintenance.

9. RSK Property Maintenance

fuel filters, every 2 or 3 oil changes, oil changes, every 4-5000 miles, my water pump is still oem on my truck with 272,000 miles. might replace it sooner then later though its about 300 to have someone else to do, not at the dealer or a repair shop. ball joints, u-joints, tie rods, track arm bushings, brake pads, calipers if you let the truck sit for long periods of time. nothing out of the ordinary.

10. recycledsole

from MD

ok thank you very much