Ford F550, LCF, Dodge 5500 or Isuzu NPR?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Joe Spinelli, Nov 28, 2009.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Gravel rat seems to know his trucks. I have seen him talk about trucks on a couple different forums. He always seems to be right. Only thing I have disagreed with him on so far is that he seems to think cable is better then hooklift. lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I'am not a big beleiver on hooklifts I seen them power out. What I have pulled on a cable operated rolloff would make a hooklift power out.

For a F-550 sized rolloff truck you want what ever system you use to be light enough. The switch and go is probably the lightest system you can get.

If I do build my own it will be a conventional rails similar to a switch and go but the rails tails would touch the ground.
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I know a couple people around here with LCF's and they love them, Great fuel economy and great power. Very roomy as well..Ones got 112,000 miles, the other has 70 something. One of em had to do a new turbo (under warranty). But other than that theyve been problem free.
  4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

So bottom line what do you guys think is gonna be the cheapest truck to run in his situation? The 5500/550 chassis cabs, the LCF or the Isuzu?

I have spent a great deal of time all around southern Calif. and no doubt would take a cabover over a conventional truck. The turn radius always surprised me what they could do and visibility is great too.
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

The Isuzu!
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For a well proven cab over go with Isuzu/GMC.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

My npr has been a great worktruck, just turned 68000 k.
  8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

9. Joe Spinelli

Joe Spinelli LawnSite Member

I'm still scratching my head on this, I've looked at it from 50 different angles. If I decided to go out and buy a brand new truck, without a doubt, I'd go with the International CF600 aka The Ford LCF. For me personally, it has everything I need. The problem is, if I do go out and buy a brand new truck, I'm going to have to make payments on that truck for 5 years. Between the truck payment and insurance that's going to be at least $1,500 a month. And as you guys know, the bank doesn't want to hear that I had a slow month when it comes time to give them money. I really believe that I have a great marketing plan and that I will be able to make good money but I think its a good idea to have a back-up plan just in case I'm wrong. If the $hit hits the fan and I have to sell everything, I'm going to have a hard time trying to sell a truck that I owe $50,000 on.
    I think I'm going to buy a used roll-off truck.. There are some auctions coming up that have some single axle roll-offs. If i buy a used one for $8000 or $10000 and decided in 12 months that business isn't worth it, it will be a lot easier to turn around and re-sell it at cost and walk away even. I can't do that with a brand new truck. If in 12 months I decided wow this is a great business, then I will go out and buy a brand new truck. I just don't think its smart to buy a brand new truck for a start up business. I think its better to get my feet wet before I dive in head first. What do you guys think? Joe.
  10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what about a roll off trailer? do you have a heavy duty pick-up?