Ford F800

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jul 4, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I still have not bought a truck.
    I know the owner of the Used Truck place through a friend that has this truck.

It has air brakes and a 29k GVWR.
    He has a tag trailer with air brakes that he will sale with it.
    The truck is in fairly decent shape.
    This truck will not be a often used truck.
    This purchase will allow me too move up too a 9 ton excavator as well if I decide too.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/1995-FORD-F800-92721744

What are the pros and cons.

2. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

That actually looks like a great deal!

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The pros and cons in my view are this:

Pros: The 5.9 is a strong motor and cheap to work on. The truck looks to be in good shape at reasonable price with low miles.

Cons: The 5.9 is not over powered, combined with only a five speed is not optimium towing specs, it appears to not have a two speed even. The 29K GVW is good but not ideal IMHO. I would prefer 33K GVW as that will allow you to carry more material, no small issue on trucks this size. I could carry 6 yards of 3/4 crushed road base with my 33K single axle legally(I was within a 1000 pounds so every increase in GVW is significant). Every yard counts with high fuel costs and smallish payloads anyway. The other issue for me is the bed. I am not a fan of these short bed trucks. I cant tell if the tail gate is double acting but does not appear so. That means it only dumps like a regular gravel truck. That works great for dirt and gravel, but stumps, tree limbs and such are a no go unless you mobilize your excavator to unload the truck. I prefer the 16' contractor bodies with the double acting rear tailgates. You have the option to dump like a regular gravel truck or drop the top like a pickup bed. Works great for larger items that wont fit under the tailgate and get hung up. The longer wheel base although not as easy to get around with makes for a more stable towing platform. Also the contractor bodies tend to have fold down sides. Makes it nice when picking up retaining wall block as they can be forked on and forked off.

The last point I would make would be to consider a tandem right from the start. I started out with a single axle and it was a great truck (just sold it last Winter) but other than hauling odd sized loads (that was all I used it for since 2001) it was just too small. That of course is operationally dependent and depending on what you need of it may not be an issue for you. The daily costs are nearly the same and resale tends to be better. Something to think about.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The truck for one is GROSSLY underpowered I know 5 ton Fords with 5.9 power and they are SLOW on the road you need minimum 6spd transmission.

I wouldn't buy a "F" series medium duty I would be looking at a Louisville.

As KSSS says a tandem is a better option. A local contractor has a 9 ton ex and he has a single axle with 7.8 Ford power the truck is sucking wind pulling that load.

Keep searching to find a better truck

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

The tandems here that are worth buying are 40k + here.The cheap ones are often times in poor condition.This truck has new tires and a 2 speed rear.
    Gravel yards are all 30 + miles from me so using the truck too haul gravel would be useless.
    I want a 16 foot box but I have not had much luck finding a decent one for less than 25k.
    This trucks primary purpose will be too pull my excavator and support it.
    I can fix the tailgate if I need too.I have a full welding/machine shop at the house.
    I think I can buy it in the 8500.00 dolar range.
    It will pass a dot inspection as it sits.

I want a tandem and a 20 ton tag.
    But I will have too settle for something more affordable right know.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

I have been searching for a year.
    The guy has a trackloader on the lot that weighs about 10 tons.
    I will ask himtoo load it up behind the dump and give her a test drive,but I think she will be a litle weak.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Is there a market for a 5-6 yd. dump? I have been looking at 26k gvw trucks for quite some time for doing small drive repairs and hauling wood chips. I tool like the double acting gate. I have one on my dump trailer but the dump trailer doesn't like to dump heavy loads of dirt and stumps as easily as I see dump trucks.
    Since I mostly work alone, I thought having a dump truck on site with me would help when I have to move chips around a ranch or load up shreds to haul to single location or back to my ranch.

I have wanted to stay under CDL for a while and fill the niche in between the big boys and the landscapers. I thought that if I was proficient with a smaller truck or at least one with a contractor's dump, then I could move up to a tandem later. I hate driving so I don't want to be a trucker full time.
    I wonder if it would make more sense to go to a dual tandem dump trailer. Right now I run a 12,950 gvw bumper pull dump. I had it down rated from 14k. Has 7x12 bed and 3' sides with double acting gates but it's dog with anything heavier than stumps and chips. I can barely maneuver it with dirt and the tires look like they will pop if I put caliche in it.

Any thoughts for an under cdl setup?

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

You can get a under cdl debris truck.It will have a 20 yard box with barn doors.
    It will haul a bunch of chips and debris.
    However if you put a trailer behind it you will be over cdl anyway so it does not matter.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

My goal is to start off under CDL then when I get proficient with the truck, take the test with my truck and trailer setup later on.