Ford guys, a lil' help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Meadowbrook, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have a 2000 F-250. Good truck, can't really complain except for 1 thing that really bugs the hell out of me. When driving at a steady pace, usually in OD at 1600-1800 RPM's the truck feels like it has a slight 'bucking' to it. My buddy has the same truck as me and his does it, but doesn't seem like it's as noticable as mine. Any ideas what it might be?

Chris

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Whats powering your truck ?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I will assume this is a diesel, if so then you are experiencing "surging". Do you have any chips/programmers or upgraded turbochargers on your truck?

4. Meadowbrook

Yep, it's a 7.3, I had a programmer on it, but then thought that it may be causing the surging so I returned the truck back to stock. Still does it, just not as bad. What does it and how can I fix it. Just gets on my nerves.

5. earthtrends

earthtrends LawnSite Senior Member

Meadowbrook mine is a 04 with the 6.0. Ford had a recall on the fuel injection harness. I had mine replaced twice. Does yours blow black smoke out the pipe when it surges?

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is it an auto or manual trans? I would check the computer to see if it's throwing any codes.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How many miles on this rig? I am a cummins guy myself but what programmer did you have on this engine? TST, Edge, banks?? More information available the easier it is to help ya.

8. Meadowbrook

Earth.........doesn't blow any smoke except when I jump on the gas

LWC..........it's an automatic

LAWN........74,000 miles.....I had a Hypertech Tuner on it, but since had taken it off. The only codes that it threw were when it was on. 1 for the cam sensor, 1 for something with my air conditioning, and 1 for a wastegate thing. The weird thing is that these trucks don't even have a true wastegate on the turbo, they have a relief valve instead. So I dunno. I haven't scanned it yet but will in the next few days to see if any codes came back. The help is appreciated, if ya know of anything else let me know. Thanks guys.

Chris

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Your Cam position sensor is going out. its common to the 7.3 to have this problem. replace the CPS, and keep a spare, plus 10mm socket in the glove box unless you like being towed home all the time.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

CPS change takes all of 15 mins. Better than a $300 tow bill for a part the size of a D cell battery.