1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford LCF and Sterling side by side photos

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BrandonV, Dec 27, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys, I stopped my my dealer today to check things out. all and all I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ the ford w/ a SNG bed, the lcf vs the mitfuzo built sterling (though a great truck) is hands down ford in way of shear power and heavy dutyness. the ford's frame, breaks, tie rod, springs, rim were all bigger. i took it for a spin and even w/ that massive box (drag city) it drove really well. the cab was better contracted, though the sterling had more leg room (likely due to the smaller tires and rims) but sine I'm not driving it, and the crew that will won't be going long distances I don't care all that much. ford seats were much nicer with full sized seats for everyone, much safer in my opinion to have a full seat instead of the half backs. and the kicker is the ford (w/ rebats and such, is less expensive, so my mind is pretty much made up.

1227071512.jpg

1227071506.jpg

1227071501a.jpg

1227071501.jpg

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i like those LCFs! i want to get one! sounds like the right decision.

3. BrandonV

i was throughly impressed. hope to pick one up over the winter in time for spring. the 6cyl engine had plenty of power, I kinda question why they don't offer that in the pickups. really no need for most people to have the v8 powerstrokes in my opinion this would do just fine, and get better mpg

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I wondered the same thing! seems like such a great engine! in a f-150?? yeh. that would sell so great!

5. BrandonV

heck in a 250 would be cool too, make a great service truck

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

One thing about the LCF is the same driveline is used in the F-450 and F-550.
    The front axle in the LCF thou is a full I beam axle like Ford used to use in the "F-Superduty" (F-450) trucks.

Anybody had any feedback on the V6 PSD that would be the biggest worry about the truck. The rest of it should be Ford tough :laugh:

7. BrandonV

the dealer also was pretty sure they could get me a "pre emissions" one, which I of course would prefer. that'd make two new trucks I've bought w/o the "new truck emissions" b.s.

8. BrandonV

oh and I'd love feedback too, but unfortunately don't think we'll get much

9. Rick.ULS

Rick.ULS LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I saw some of you were talking about using the v-6 turbo out of the Ford LCF in the F-150s and F-250s. Awesome ideas, but how about this one? Install that engine in the Walker MT/GHS mowers with a 48" deck and large hopper ! Also in the large Scag Turf Tiger with a 71" deck. I doubt you would have any trouble mowing thick, wet fescue with either one, what do ya think?

Rick:weightlifter:

10. BrandonV

sounds something more like what dixie chopper would do, have to really reinforce the catcher on the walker, fan would be blowing some air... a good idea none the less. the engine was very smooth by the way.