Ford LCF L55 Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Nov 25, 2006.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I made the mistake of going to ford today to look at 550's.

BUT I test drove a L55 Cab over and wow, drove like no other. 19,500 GVW, 8000 lb chassis, so gosh whats that about 10,000 lb payload. O and get this combo weight rating is 26,000 lbs which means I could tow a 10 or 14k trailer behind it if the truck empty.

I got a quote for a new LCF L55 with dump body and 2 24x24x6 storage boxes on the side for about 42,000 dollars.

Anyone looked at other cab overs??

Mitsu 14500
    NPR NQR... 14500 gvw to 17,500 gvw
    Ford LCF L55 19,500 gvw

The 19,500 gvw Ford could tow a small 12 ft trailer or a leaf vac or chipper and still be under 26,000 lbs( no cdl needed)

So any pros or cons on these trucks?? Im pretty particular about how I want it built if I get it custom made.

2. CrewCutEnterprises

This will be a maintenance truck and it will need to carry these at all times.

3 Jackson wheelbarrows
    3 rakes
    3 flat spades
    1 regular shovel
    1 flat long handled shovel
    2 back pack blowers
    17 ft gorrilla a frame folding ladder
    4 tarps
    stihl 250 chain saw
    chain saw tool box with extra chains and sharpener.
    echo hc 150 hedge clippers
    PAS 260 with articulating hedger
    5 gallon gas
    2.5 gallon mix

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The Ford LCF is new to the market. I believe they come with a powerstroke (might be an option). Ford has been building cab overs in various forms since the 1960s.

I have no idea how good the new models are. But they seem like they would be a good option.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

They come with a 4.5L Power Stroke® V6 Turbo Diesel engine with 200 hp and 440 lb.-ft. of torque.

Has anyone heard of this engine before?

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

My understanding of the 4.5 is that it's a v-6 (not inline) version of the 6.0 Think 6.0 with the last 2 cylinders chopped off.

I fear this engine, however, others have had good luck with the 6.0's.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I fear all ford products my ford I am about to sell 3000 miles 7 dealers and no warranty because I hauled 1 load of rock and 1 load of mulch and 1 load of dirt. Which any could void my warranty. Look at the 1997 and 2006 f-150 frames that bend in the parking lot of factory and doors don't open, what would happen in accident??

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

There have been rumors of a 4.5 diesel in f150s and such, has anyone heard about this?

I would think that they would do things differently considering the 6.0 will no longer be produced.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Again, your posts are not relevant to the conversation. Go somewhere else dude.

I looked at LCF's earlier this spring, was quoted $39,000 for an L55 chassis. I'm unsure of where I stand with this truck, I'd rather have a Hino or Mitsu, but the payload of the L55 is much greater than its competitors at 19,500.

But, you said this a maintenance truck and the items it's supposed to carry isn't any more than a pickup could easily haul. You have to ask yourself if this truck is overkill for your operation. Do you really need a truck that will tow 26,000 combined? If so, it might be in your best interest to take a look at this truck. But if you're not towing and just hauling the items you've listed, I'd buy a Hino or Mitsu.

9. CrewCutEnterprises

Again. Ive seen you bash ford here more than once. Blah Blah Blah. I dident ask about anything you've replied with. PERIOD. O and your dealer must suck.

Ford has like 60% of the truck market... why? they stand behind a product. Does chevy even make a 2 ton or 3 or 4 ton truck comparable. maybe.. no, they make their 3500.

So back to my thought.

Isuzu NQR crew cab ... or
    LCF......

Ideas comments

10. CrewCutEnterprises

Thanks for a decent reply. We run a F350 with dump insert and work it HARD. This time of year we will fill it up 2 times a day and weigh into the dump at 12,000 lbs, truck is 8000 lbs dry. That is full of leaves

During mulching season we will make 2 or 4 trips for mulch as the truck will only hold 5 maybe pushing 6 yards of mulch. I know its a lot of things to think of.