Ford or Chevy Diesel Mason Dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Markf, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    The last thing I wish to hear about or start an argument is a Chevy versus Ford peeing contest. Having said that, the situation is the following: my son and I have agreed to purchase a used 4x4 F350 or 3500 mason dump diesel long wheel base. At present, we are not considering a F450 or 4500 because the truck will be parked on our property. I need to look into the town's regulation on that. We figure that we can go up to $18,000. I have located a 98 3500 with 70k on it with a 6.5l engine. My son has 2000 F350 with a 7.3l PS so I am some what familiar with the Ford product, but only in a regular cab. We will mainly use the dump for mulch jobs but we will be expanding into hardscapes in the future after proper training, etc. It may also be used for plowing. Your honest opinions if you have owned such vehicles is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :help:
    Mark

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the Ford if you are going with a 4x4 the Chev 4x4 1 tons are really not that good plus if you are going with a 6.5 thats even worse :laugh:

One thing to consider once you put a dump body on 1 ton you don't have much "legal" payload left I don't know what size of dump body you want it should be a minimum 9' a 10 or 11 foot on a truck with a 84 ca is better. Your looking at around 2000lbs just for the body so you subract that from 12,000lbs your gvw is down to 10,000lbs gvw. Most 1 ton diesels with a dump body will weigh around 8000lbs it will give you about 3500lbs.

A F-450 sized truck with a 15,000lb gvw it doesn't weigh much more empty you would be looking at a 7000lb payload you would beable to easily carry 2.5 yards of gravel. With a 1 ton with a 3500lb payload your looking at only able to carry 1 yard to 1.5 yards of gravel.

I'am going through the same decision I currently have a 89 F-450 and I need to upgrade to a newer truck I would like to have a 4x4 but the 88-97 F-450s were never sold as 4x4s. That means I would have to go to a 99 or newer 450 which is payup so I will have to go back to a F-350 to have a 4x4 the problem is not enough legal payload and braking power.

The second problem is the gov't here has changed the rules now they have made 15,000lb gvw trucks commercial so it makes it more of a PITA to run a F-450 as a work/daily driver.

I have been looking at 92-97 F-350s I want to put a 11' dumping flatdeck on it because a dumping flat is lighter than a mason box its not as strong for dumping rocky material on but it works. The one thing I have to be carefull about is not get stopped by the DOT a overload fine won't be cheap. I will also have to be carefull about brakes the braking power of F-350s isn't that good. I know a F-350 won't carry a 8000lb load like my F-450 will I know the F-350 will struggle with 6000lbs of gravel where that just smoothed out the ride on a F-450.

I'am a little undecided yet I can find 92-97 F-450s easier and cheaper and in better shape over the same year F-350 4x4 cab and chassis with the same wheelbase. I'am looking for diesel I will never go back to gas been there done that never again the 460 Ford gas only gets 6-8 mpg.

3. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

I had brand new 94 Chevy 3500 dump Turbo Diesel 5 speed, and a 94 Ford F450 non turbo diesel AT at the same time. Things you can expect to go wrong:

Chevy:
    reverse gear ratio too high to jump curb loaded=burnt clutch
    exhaust manifold cracked=$1500
    excess frame flexing=cracked frame behind the cab
    ground clearance sucks
    brakes are junk
    try to talk on the cell, steer & shift without spilling your coffee
    turbo boost leads to abuse of gas pedal

Ford:
    glow plug power wire lug behind air cleaner burns up of corrodes.
    big a$$ disk brakes on rear axel saved a life
    towing equipment with automatic was smooth
    never spent a day in the shop until the tires wore out.
    got me to the job & home daily

4. Markf

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the input. It seems like I may be able to pick up a 93 F350 7.3 diesel dump. 5 spd, 8 or 9 foot bed, plow for 5-6K. I am not sure if turbo or not. What might I expect in fuel economy?
    Mark

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many miles? If it is a late '93 then it very well may have a turbo, that would make it an IDI Turbo, not a Power Stroke.

Make sure you check the SCA level in the coolant. If there is none or very little move on to the next one. This is very important, as cavitation has caused many good 7.3's to die early.

As for fuel economy you could probably expect around 10-12, possibly 14 empty, and about 8-10 towing.

6. Gravel Rat

You should see anywhere from 10-13mpg with a F-350 4x4 dump with IDI power and 5spd you may beable to squeek 15mpg out of it. The problem with the swb trucks with the 8' boxes is the front wheels lift off the ground giving you light steering. The F-350s with the 161wb with a 10' box you can get enough weight forward so the truck handles good it also rides better.

I was looking at the truckpaper.com all the F-350s 4x4s I found were swb trucks with 8' boxes they are just too short. A 9' box on a 60ca truck is even worse you get too much weight against the tail gate of the box you will be staring at the sky.

When you search for trucks you look for the cab axle measurement it goes 60" swb 84" lwb and 108' extra long wheelbase. You want a truck with the 84 cab axle which should be around a 161wb with a regular cab truck.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The FORD, BUILT FORD TOUGH. :)

8. Markf

Smalltimer,
    It has approx 95K (definitely below 100k) on it. What is SCA? Thx.
    Mark

9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

This statement is as false as they come. I have owned a 60" cab to axle F series for 4 years now, 3 with an F350 and now an F450. These trucks cannot handle anywhere near the weight to do such a thing. The current one has a 9' box and makes a great little dump truck for debris and materials.

Scott

10. Gravel Rat

You must not haul much heavy material because I had a F-350 with a 9' deck used to put 3-3.5 ton on it the front wheels would get light. I had close to 3 yards of road base on the truck must have been close to 7400lbs it was heavy the old truck handled it not much brakes thou.

My lwb F-350 I used to carry 6000lbs which was a comfortable load I wouldn't want to really haul more than that the 351 had no power. My 88-450 with a 11' box would easily carry 6000lbs I had up to 9000lbs in it the truck handled it fine. I hauled lots of loads in the 7000lb range I tried not hauling the 9000lb loads the truck was grossing 17,000lbs about 2700lbs over gvw.

I have been in the trucking industry for about 12 years I'am getting back into the small scale hauling again now that the landscaping work has increased so much here. I'am currently looking for a 92-97 F-450 with a 11' box I was gonna go back to a F-350 but after I calculated what the payload would be a 350 is too light.

I have been running F-Superduty (F-450) trucks for 5 years now they pack any sized load I want only drawback is they are 2wd. With my F-350 trucks they were always overloaded and always had problems with braking power never could trust the brakes. If you didn't use the gears to slow down the brakes would overheat in a second and you would be really screwed.

In the 12 years of driving 1 ton trucks to tandem axle dumps I have learned alot one thing you learn is braking power is the most important part of the truck.